Celebrating in Starnberg - The Road to Rome, Part Two: Europe - CycleBlaze

September 10, 2021

Celebrating in Starnberg

Before moving on to today’s festivities let’s pause to pick up some missing content from yesterday.  We’ll call it Janos’ Corner, since the content is all his.  First, his videos, from our meeting on the trail yesterday and then from today’s outing.

Then, his book.  Suzanne was sharing the story of their first meeting, walking on the route to Compostela - surely one of the best origin stories we’ve heard.  Suzanne then sent Janos off to find his journal, which we assumed was his original document from his five month long walk from his home at the time in Kassel to Santiago - but no, it’s a published work, available on Amazon.  And, this is just one of Janos’s published works.  Sixteen titles are available, many coauthored by Suzanne, on their Amazon author’s page.  You’ll recognize many of the titles from their English version posted on this site.

Vier Millionen Schritte bis zum Ende der Welt (Four Million Steps to the End of the World).
Heart 2 Comment 0

Today is a day for celebration.  First, for the all-important milestone accomplishment - we passed our thousandth mile of the tour today, in the middle of our 11 mile outing.  Mainly though we celebrate the fact that we have friends to share it with, with a toast at a traditional biergarten.

We had brief discussions yesterday about how to spend today, but Suzanne provided the winning idea.  From her email last night:

What do you think about a short ride to a very simple traditional Bavarian beer garden and a visit to the place where Ludwig II drowned/committed suicide/was murdered? You know the Visconti film Ludwig? Janos thought that might be an interesting place to visit. Less riding would mean more time to talk. Cycling is rather uncommunicative.

It was the perfect program for the day.  Janos and Suzanne biked the six miles down to the lake this morning, with us meeting them partway - we biked a whole mile, at least - and then biking back so that Rachael could shoot a better video this time - she was very disappointed yesterday when her camera battery died just after we met up with them.

Video sound track: Suzanne, by Leonard Cohen

Descending to the See.
Heart 1 Comment 0

After our two mile round trip to meet them and then back to the lake again, Janos was kind enough to suggest that we stop for a coffee by the lake and regain strength before the 9 mile death march that lay ahead.  We settled in at a waterfront cafe, one of their favorite local spots to sit and watch the world go by, and picked up with our visit where we had left off yesterday sharing our personal histories and finding a surprising  number of things we have in common.  As we talked we were startled by a loud, repetitive slapping sound as a swan was running along the surface of the lake just offshore from us, slapping his wings against the water.

In Starnberg.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Patrick O'HaraThat photo is a keeper!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Patrick O'HaraAgreed. It’s nice to be in the company of a competent photographer.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Resting up for the ordeal ahead.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The visibility to the south is better today, and good enough that you can imagine how beautiful this must be on a clear day when there is snow on the mountains.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Finally we all felt rested up enough for the main work of the day - the ride to the chapel beside the point where Ludwig II was found drowned in the lake.  After about four miles of mixed riding conditions - biking through crowds alongside the lake, and up and down gravel paths through the woods, we arrived at the chapel.  While Janos was kind enough to stand guard over our bikes Suzanne gave us a tour of the grounds and provided historical context.

Heart 4 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0

Then, we backtracked to a delightful biergarden where we sat in the shade, continued our visit, enjoyed our meals, and watched free range chickens wandering about.  After that they led us back to the hotel where we finally said our farewells (for now - I’ll be surprised if we don’t make it back this way again some year), and they biked the six miles back up the hill to their home in Gauting.  An unequal outing - about 21 miles for them and only 11 for us.

Thank you so much, Suzanne and Janos.  The last two days are a memory we’ll cherish.  I’ve little doubt that years from now this will be the first memory that comes to mind when we reflect back on this tour.

In the biergarten. Does that groaning board in the front look like a meal for two? You’d be wrong there.
Heart 4 Comment 0

Back in the room, we settled in briefly and then Rachael took off on an energetic 7.7 mile hike along the lake; and I didn’t.  I did get out for a very nice but much less energetic walk of my own, but with at least eight days ahead before our next layover day this seemed like the right time to take it easy and give the knees a break while I have the opportunity.

For dinner we walked back to the same cafe where we had stopped for coffee this morning and had a light meal, watched the weather develop and the sun go down, and imagined what it would be like to live in a place like this where you could just bike down to this spot whenever the spirit moved you.  It sounds very nice.

On the Starnberger See.
Heart 1 Comment 0
On the Starnberger See.
Heart 1 Comment 1
Suzanne GibsonLove those clouds!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Just sittin’ on a dock by the bay, wastin’ time.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Gals and gulls: there’s so much joy to be had from a few crumbs of bread and some hungry mouths to feed.
Heart 2 Comment 0

Ride stats today: 11 miles, 200’; for the tour: 1,006 miles, 84,100’

Today's ride: 11 miles (18 km)
Total: 1,006 miles (1,619 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 6
Suzanne GibsonSo many thanks to you and Rachael for stopping here, spending time with us and all the positive vibes we got from you. A memorable visit for us, too.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Suzanne GibsonLove your video, Rachael!
I hope the day stays dry for you, not raining at the moment!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rachael AndersonTo Suzanne GibsonThanks. I had great stars! I wasn’t able to watch very much of Janos’s video because of our connection but I love what I saw! I’m so glad he captured the meet up. I look forward to watching both videos in full. It might help if you sent the link from YouTube. Thanks again for a wonderful time and we look forward to seeing you again!
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Scott AndersonSeemed like the natural song for the day. I wonder now how familiar with it you even are though. You must have expatriated several years before it was released.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Gregory GarceauGreat video, Rocky. And even greater choice of Leonard Cohen musical accompaniment. How appropriate the lyrics "and you'll want to travel with her" and "you know she's half crazy but that's why you want to be there."
And who would have known Janos was such an accomplished journal writer? On Cycle 365 he always seems to be happily in the background.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago
Rachael AndersonTo Gregory GarceauThanks, but I have to give credit to Scott for the song choice.
Reply to this comment
2 years ago