Schenectady, Albany, East Greenbush - Brown's Folly - CycleBlaze

July 25, 2021

Schenectady, Albany, East Greenbush

   We awoke to a gray, wet morning. I planned to continue traveling with Colorado Connie and Ed. They had family in the Kingston area By the time we finished our Slam Breakfasts at Denny’s the drizzle had stopped.

   Outside of Schenectady we found our most significant hills. We climbed and rolled toward Albany. 

East of Schenectady
Heart 2 Comment 0

The trail circles around Cohoes and leads into Watervliet, which is blocked from the Hudson River  by the New York State Thruway. Whoever planned and approved this urban infrastructure atrocity should be dug up and shot. The trail eventually goes parallel to the Hudson and we rolled towards the end of the Erie Canal Trail. If there was an arch, sign, or parade signifying the start/finish of the trail, we missed it. There was a glass kiosk with a small sticker behind the glass. It was very anticlimactic. 

Could this be the trail end/beginning?
Heart 1 Comment 0

   We continued south on the Empire State Trail.

Looking back toward Albany
Heart 1 Comment 0

 After crossing the Hudson we encountered some hills. We worked our way to the Comfort Inn south of East Greenburg that  was on the trail. At $112 it was one of the nicer hotels in that price range. Stretching in the pool felt great. 

  Ed, Connie and I decided on dinner at Soho, a nearby Asian fusion joint. Right before we were leaving, the sky opened up. Connie suggested ordering in since Soho delivered. The rain stopped and Ed and I convinced Connie to go for the less-than-a-mile ride. Dinner was pretty good. I had a curry dish.

   As we were riding back to the motel, it started raining again. I led the way down the sidewalk back toward the Comfort Inn. I veered around a sprinkler that was watering the grass in the rain. I missed the second sprinkler and got side blasted. Everyone followed me and also got hit by the sprinkler in the rain. When we got under the hotel canopy Connie said, “I told you we should have ordered in.” We all had a good laugh. 38.4 miles for the day.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 38 miles (61 km)
Total: 414 miles (666 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0