13. 6/11/23 Dunkirk, NY to Erie, PA - Gass-powered Tandem Around Lake Erie (clockwise) - CycleBlaze

June 11, 2023

13. 6/11/23 Dunkirk, NY to Erie, PA

Strava-corrected ride data: 52.4 miles, 1309 ft. elevation.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Generally a delightful day.  It was 70 degrees when we got on the road after 10 a.m., skies were cloudy and the wind light. By afternoon the wind picked up and blew from the NE; we were traveling West...lovely!    NY5 and PA5 were much improved from yesterday. 

Newly paved and a wide shoulder. At times there was a rumble strip on OUR side of the white line which meant we had less room to ride, but it went away in PA.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We are in wine country!

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

At 18 miles into the route, we rode into Barcelona. A hilltop park with a lighthouse from 1829 and benches was the perfect spot to view the harbor and the dredging going on.

Barcelona Bay
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking East up the Lake.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Break water being worked on.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Dredging
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
1829 Stone light house on shore.
Heart 1 Comment 0
We weren't allowed to climb the stairs because the steps are rotten and cannot be repaired because some are "cemented" into the stone walls with mortar that is unstable.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our next stop was about 20 miles later at the Penn Shores winery.  We bought some "tasting samples" and some juice and were allowed to sit on their back patio with our own snack food. Perfect!

Heart 1 Comment 2
Jeanna & Kerry SmithWe've enjoyed that view at that winery. (Not the view of the distinguished Dr. Gass, but the rest of it!)
Reply to this comment
10 months ago
Francie GassFun reading about your ride along Lake Huron as we ride along Lake Erie. Shipwrecks, lighthouses, poor motels in common! : )
Reply to this comment
10 months ago

At this point we only had 18.5 miles to go.  Maneuvering through Erie was tricky, but the route took us along a path by the port which was great.   Our motel is 2 star again. I will tell you more about why that is tomorrow.  The owners are very nice.  Rained tonight and forecast is rain tomorrow...our rest day.  Good timing!

Today's ride: 52 miles (84 km)
Total: 439 miles (707 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0