Transporting Nellie - For A Few Advils Less - CycleBlaze

Transporting Nellie

I have been asked numerous times how I transport my Tour Easy. Basically I strap it onto a Saris Bones rack that hangs from the back of my van. It looks precarious but it really isn't. If I do it right the bike barely moves. The bike does stick out a bit on either side but that has not been a problem, although it does raise your stress level when you are going through one of Pennsylvania's work zones with narrow lanes. Even allowing for the bike sticking out, the van and bike are no wider than a tractor trailer.

Heart 0 Comment 0

Here are some pointers:

1) Take the fairing off. I roll mine up and put it in a cotton laundry bag. If you don't the fairing may be ruined.

2) Orient the bike so that the front wheel is on the side opposite the exhaust. As you can see in the picture the front wheel hangs low. A continous stream of hot exhaust gas is probably not good for the front wheel or tire.

3) Strap each wheel to the bike rack with a bungee. This keeps the wheels from spinning, which can be distracting. It also keeps the handlebars from swinging into the body of the car or back window.

4) Using a cargo net, secure the center of the frame to the cross bar of the bike rack. This keeps the bike from wiggling when you accelerate or deccelerate. (Appologies for the overexposed photo.)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0