Slowly I Turn, Step by Step, Inch by Inch - Taking in Niagara Falls - For A Few Advils Less - CycleBlaze

August 15, 2004

Slowly I Turn, Step by Step, Inch by Inch - Taking in Niagara Falls

On Sunday, we walked across the Rainbow Bridge to Canada. Since I read about Moni Neville's long wait at the border with the cars, I asked the agent at Canadian Immigration about bike tourists using the pedestrian route across the bridge. The agent said that bike tourists have to cross with the cars.

On the US side the state park is, with the exception of a Star-Wars-like observation tower, a somewhat rustic run of the mill park. The Canadian side is landscaped with beautiful gardens and there are many more commercial services nearby. If I didn't know better, I'd think Canada was the wealthier nation by far.

Photo by my daughter Lily.
Heart 1 Comment 0

After a pointless ride up and down an short incline railway, we took a tour behind the Horseshoe Falls which was somewhat disappointing. At one point, however, the tour took us out on a deck just beneath Horseshoe Falls. The perspective was indescribably impressive. The sound and the enormity of the Falls is just incredible.

At the top of the Falls tourists can walk right up to the river's edge and watch the water power over the precipice. We've all read about people going over the Falls in a barrel. Anybody who does this and survives should be taken to the nervous hospital for the remainder of their living days.

We hiked back to the US side, paying a 50 cent a head toll to cross the Rainbow Bridge. We toured the American and the Bridal Veil falls, then took a tour called Cave of the Winds. Rather than take you into a cave, this tour amounts to a walk up a wooden deck up into the edge of the Bridal Veil. Three words: Oh, My, God.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0