Wymondham - Norwich - England, England [and a little bit of Wales] - CycleBlaze

August 20, 2007

Wymondham - Norwich

In which Mistress Poole attends a Healer, whilst Master Jennings takes the ecclesiastical Air.

Barbra's red-eye. Photo-shop won't help.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Barbara's eye was no better this morning. She resolved to see a doctor at the local health centre. I walked with her out to the new facility on the edge of the town. While she waited to be seen, I walked back through the town centre and took pictures of the Abbey. We met back at the hotel. She had been prescribed anti-biotic eye drops. Barbara felt a day off the bike might be in order. We decided to ride into Norwich and perhaps spend the afternoon sightseeing. The evening before had been completely still. I suspected that might indicate a change in weather, the TV forecast suggested that would be the case and sure enough we found ourselves riding side-on to a cold northerly wind.

Wymondham town centre
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wymondham market cross
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wymondham town centre
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wymondham town centre
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our hotel
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wymondham town centre, computer shop
Heart 0 Comment 0
Green Dragon inn
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wymondham Abbey, behind the trees
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wymondham Abbey
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wymondham Abbey, West Tower
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wymondham Abbey
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bat's hang-out, Wymondham Abbey, East Tower
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wymondham Abbey
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wymondham Abbey
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wymondham Abbey, altar screen
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wymondham Abbey, altar screen
Heart 0 Comment 0
Is this what Henry VIII had in mind? Wymondham, Catholic church
Heart 0 Comment 0

We caught sight of some of old Norwich on our way down to our hotel by the river, near the station. The weather that afternoon deteriorated even further. Now, to accompany the cold northerly wind was driving rain. We abandoned any thoughts of tourism.

On the edge of Norwich
Heart 0 Comment 0
Norwich city centre, Forum
Heart 0 Comment 0
Norwich city centre, rude banana
Heart 0 Comment 0
Norwich city centre, chilly flamenco
Heart 0 Comment 0

Later we ate dinner in the newly renovated hotel restaurant by the river. Our waitress, a very pretty dark-haired girl was from Slovakia. Barbara enquired about the fish option on the menu. There was no mention of fish species, not cod, haddock, halibut, whatever. The waitress offered to find out for us. She gave us an unfamiliar name, which I can't remember. 'It's from Vietnam,' she said. This was a new one on me, a consequence of European over-fishing, I presume. In any case Barbara demurred.

Later, having seen Barbara and her red eye back to the room, I walked into the city centre for a beer. I drank more draught Guinness while listening to a moderately entertaining three-piece guitar band. After that and a bit of chat with some locals, I was off to bed.

Today's ride: 20 km (12 miles)
Total: 253 km (157 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0