Grindavik to Reykjavik: cranking into the wind. - Endless Days in Iceland - CycleBlaze

July 2, 2013

Grindavik to Reykjavik: cranking into the wind.

I made and Executive Decision today: go directly to The first five kilometers were mostly uphill, but on a bike path which runs next to one of the ubiquitous hot water pipelines. At the summit of this climb, you have to rejoin the road, which does not have the best shoulder, but at least it as mornng and the endless stream of taxis, tourist busses and vans were coming toward me on the way to the blue lagoon tourist trap rather than passing me on their way back to Reykjavik. Once I got to the junction with highway 41, it was go right and just keep cranking 'til you get to the outskirts of Reykjavik. I wound around the edge of the city on bike paths and evetually got to the city campground, where I coud set up for the last night camping. There were a lot of other cycle tourists in the campground, about half just starting out and about half just finishing. The capmground is well stocked with supplies, nice for those arriving, and has a place to deposit unwanted items, nice for those leaving.

Stuff left behind. This is the only pic I managed all day.
Heart 0 Comment 0

After showering, I went in search of food. There is a hot dog stand just a few meters from the entrance to the campground, and that did the trick. After a shower and a nap, I started looking for a good restaurant to celebrate the end of the tour. About 200 meters form the campground is a little place specializing in fresh fish. Nothing better than that, even though there was a wait of about 15 min. for a table. A glass of wine and fresh cod, yum!

Today's ride: 60 km (37 miles)
Total: 407 km (253 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0