Villette d'Anthon to Corbelin - French Alps 2017 - CycleBlaze

May 23, 2017

Villette d'Anthon to Corbelin

The Chambre d'hote La Leva, where we stayed last night, is situated 10k from the Lyon airport. We expected we would hear the planes coming and going into the evening but it turns out the flight path is just far enough away that it is an oasis of tranquility. It also happens that the VIa Rhona cycle route passes by only steps away, so it's common for cyclists to stay here. We both slept like babies last night.

After a breakfast of local cheeses and sausage, croissants, baguette, toasts, home made jams, fresh strawberries, almonds, rhubarb yogurt, orange juice and coffee, we waddled to our bikes and headed off.

Let's get this show on the road.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The temps were ideal and the roads were very well maintained, two pluses for any cycle tourist. The terrain was gently rolling and very green, with glimpses of the Massif de Bauges and the Chartreuse mtns which is where we are headed. We really do have horseshoes, because there was a gentle tailwind all day. We always savour tailwinds as they almost never happen!

I have been studying the route for months with various map apps and I was gobsmacked today to be expeiencing it with all the senses. The blue sky helped to make the colours bright and vibrant, like this field that had invaded the crop of wheat planted there. We heard birdsong all day long and got whiffs of flowers and the occasional, not so pleasant dead animal, pig farm and silage smells.

These poppies grow in fields en masse.
Heart 0 Comment 0

What also grabbed me was I didn't expect the small villages to have so many fascinating historic buildings. This halle in Cremieu is from the 1400's and each Wed they hold a flower market. Good thing for one of us.... today is Tuesday!

We missed the flower market in this huge 15th C hall in Cremieu by one day.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We're staying at an old chateau tonight. We arrived at 3pm and were greeted by Gabrielle who immediately set up two chaise lounges for us in the garden. She brought us some cold drinks and then headed off to pick some cherries. We were drifting off to sleep when we heard a plunking sound. Looking up, we saw her up in the cherry tree and moments later she was serving them to us on a silver tray. It turns out that Gabrielle is a master gardener and an excellent chef. We spent the whole evening around a stone table under an outdoor arbour with family and friends, eating an amazing 4 course dinner with local wines. Pinch me, is all I can say.

Our bed at Gabriella's chambre d'hote.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Table was set for a memorable dinner that went late into the night.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is a portion of Gabriella's garden, geese and chickens are at the far end.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The old chateau, now a chambre d'hote.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 50 km (31 miles)
Total: 50 km (31 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0