South Dakota Black Hills and Badlands 1993 - 1988-2002 Bike Tours - CycleBlaze

July 3, 1993 to July 11, 1993

South Dakota Black Hills and Badlands 1993

This was a fun getaway to a little-known but excellent bicycle touring destination.

9 days, 468 miles (749 km). Start/finish at the Rapid City airport.

Heart 0 Comment 0

The route criss-crossed the Black Hills and then passed through the Badlands. Between the two is the impoverished Pine Ridge Indian reservation. It was my first time to bike through a large reservation.

Badlands National Park
Heart 1 Comment 0

In the Black Hills I visited Mt. Rushmore and pedaled the scenic byways that have narrow tunnels and circular wooden "pigtail" bridges. I enjoyed the stark contrast between the forested Black Hills and the barren badlands. I don't regret the big detour to see Wall Drug.

I hiked 23 miles, including a hike to the summit of 7244-foot Harney Peak, the highest peak east of the Rocky mountains. Another great hike went from Sylvan lake down into a deep shady canyon.

At the summit of Harney peak.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The weather was warm and sunny most of the time. I camped 7 nights and spent 1 night at a hostel.

This is a great bicycle touring destination as long as you avoid the Sturgis motorcycle rally in early August when hundreds of thousands of motorcyclists converge on the Black Hills.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0