Headwinds and rain: Emotional day - A tour of France, and Portugal - CycleBlaze

August 25, 2014

Headwinds and rain: Emotional day

Today we woke up to light rain, so we put n the rain gear. Not too far down the road, I had to stop and take some layers off. Wet, but warm.

Heart 1 Comment 0

We had a fairly long, steep hill to our first stop, and by the time we got to the top we were soaked. Note to self...do not bring a fairly inexpensive jacket along and think it is waterproof, when you have an excellent, waterproof Arcteryx, that you should have brought. Come back sun!

Our first stop was a 360 film of WWII in Aromonches. It just opened last year, and it was excellent. The only negative thing about stopping when you are very wet, is you get chilly. As long as we stayed cycling, we stayed warm, even though we were soaked.

We stayed on road D514 today, which is very scenic. Our next stop was The Canadian landing site, Juno Beach in Courseulles-sur-Mer. We toured the centre there, and watch a very emotional film, entitled "They Walk With You." It brought tears to my eyes.

We had planned to cycle to Honfleur today, but after we finished touring the Juno Centre and beach, it was still pouring, and we were getting very chilled. We decided to get a room in the town, and hope tomorrow morning is a little better, as we don't want to leave without seeing the Canadian cemetery.

We have a comfortable room tonight, and had some more excellent French wine and food. The forecast for tomorrow looks marginally better. It is what it is, and we still have smiles on our faces, and still love touring with a bike. Having said that, I would't object to a dryer day tomorrow!

Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is the view from our room tonight
Heart 1 Comment 0
I may just have this same dinner every night.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Juno Centre
Heart 0 Comment 0
Juno Centre
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Juno
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Juno Beach
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 34 miles (55 km)
Total: 61 miles (98 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0