To Picton - New Zealand 1991 - CycleBlaze

December 28, 1991

To Picton

We began the day with a lovely but strenuous 3-4 hour loop hike to the top of Trig K.  The loop began with about a mile along the Pelorus River to a small, pretty waterfall; then continued with a steep steady climb to the top.  The summit and surrounding hills were lightly shrouded in fog when we arrived, but as we sat and watched over the next 15 minutes it broke away, giving us a brief, lovely panoramic view back up the Rai Valley and up and down the Pelorus.  

On the hike to Trig K
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rae Valley, from the Trig K summit
Heart 0 Comment 0

The woods and birdlife were both inspiring - the woods a thick mix of podocarps, beeches and tree ferns.  The lower portion of the trail was signed, with identifiers of the dominant species - it was quite gratifying for me, as by the end of the walk it felt like I could distinguish a podocarp from a beech, and tentatively between podocarps (rimu = red pine, miro - black pine, kahihata = white pine).  We had good sightings of pigeons, tuis, a bell bird and a wagtail.

The trek down was quite difficult - the steep pitch and the blanket of small  beech leaves on the trail made it very slippery, so we were always struggling to avoid falling.  At the bottom we broke at the tea house, enjoying sitting in the sun with our scones and rolls, listening to some young German and Japanese tourists comparing cultural notes.

The 25k ride to Havalock was scenic and effortless - downwind, lightly downhill, along the Pelorus River to the sound.  After another brief break we continued on to Picton.  This final 35k stretch is beautiful - most of it hugs the coast, giving great views of Queen Charlotte Sound, Havelock, and several small communities nestled snugly in lovely protected bays.  About halfway there we stopped at a quiet, sheltered and isolated bay, and with the beach to ourselves settled under the beeches to enjoy our rest.  Within 5 minutes, a family of 5 showed up; and, astonishingly, within another 5 minutes an immense family gathering of 17 plus golden retriever and outboard cruiser also showed up.  Amazing - in just ten minutes we were transported from idyllic desert isle to downtown at rush hour!

The final 15k to Picton were a continuation of the same gorgeous shoreline - the road regularly rising and falling, our tires crackling the melting tar in the warm afternoon.  Picton is a very pretty town, which we could see from the distance and enjoyed viewing as we approached it.  Directly on arrival we stopped into the motorcamp, but were disappointed to find that all of its cabins were booked.  With our primary plan thwarted, we sought out a B&B, The Admiralty House.  It made a fine base from which to enjoy the town.  Besides having comfortable rooms and tea facilities, it offered breakfast served in the room, which we ordered from menus the night before.  

Marylborough Sound
Heart 0 Comment 0
Marylborough Sound
Heart 0 Comment 0

After settling in and showering we wandered around town awhile, screening all of the food alternatives before settling on fish and chinese takeaways which we ate while sitting in the bayshore park enjoying the bustle and activity of the harbor.  

Picton
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Wellington ferry, Picton
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 32 miles (51 km)
Total: 796 miles (1,281 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0