Rained out in Šibenik - An Autumn by the Sea - CycleBlaze

September 4, 2018

Rained out in Šibenik

This morning

We had several different thoughts on what we would do with our layover day in Šibenik, as long as it included plenty of time to explore the city.  The weather helped us sort out our thoughts though when we awoke to thunder and a light rain.  In no hurry to go anywhere, we walked down to the waterfront for omelets and coffee while we waited out the weather.  

When the showers ended, we walked along the waterfront promenade to its north end and then doubled back toward the cathedral.  Our thought was to arrive there at about 8:30, its opening time, and avoid the crowds.  Plans  changed though when the rains returned, this time with a vengeance.  We didn’t want to stand around the cathedral in our wet clothes so we slowly worked our way back to the room, taking shelter under overhangs when we could.  Footing was a bit difficult, between slick marble stones and staircases that had temporarily turned into waterfalls.

On the Šibenik waterfront, after the first rains had moved on.
Heart 1 Comment 0
It was pleasant morning to walk along the waterfront, enjoying a different sky than we’ve seen for awhile.
Heart 1 Comment 0
On the Šibenik waterfront
Heart 0 Comment 0
This attractive couple is here because Rachael said she liked the skirt.
Heart 1 Comment 0
I’m still trying to figure out what this church is.
Heart 1 Comment 0
I like this one - it looks like he’s trying to mimic the dolphin behind him.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Engaging in a bit of swan spying
Heart 1 Comment 0
Saint Michael’s Fortress, the nearest of the four that guard the city. We were about half way up there when the rains pushed us back down.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Fish and sandwich shop
Heart 0 Comment 0
Climbing toward Saint Michael’s Fortress
Heart 2 Comment 0
Not much shelter here
Heart 0 Comment 0
Returning to our room, on the main thoroughfare through the carless old city.
Heart 2 Comment 0

This afternoon

We loafed around the room for a few hours, waiting for the weather to clear and our clothes to dry.  At about noon we went out again, and made a circuit of the major sights: above all, the unique Saint James Cathedral, listed as a UNESCO world heritage site; but we also trekked up to Saint Michael’s Fortress and the Barone Fortress, for the views and to pick up a bit of the city’s history.  Surprisingly, old Šibenik was protected by four fortresses.  The two we visited have been restored and are open to the public; nearby Saint John’s Fortress is closed for restoration; and Saint Anne’s Fortress is apparently in ruins although we never did see where it is.

By the time we finished our walking/climbing tour it was midafternoon.  There was some thought earlier in the day to fit a short bike ride in, but that was no longer practical.  Priority instead went to making sure we make it to Nostalgija, a restaurant we saw last night that looked terrific to us.  They don’t take reservations, and we were told we should arrive early if we want to be seated.  So of course a bike ride is out.  Darn.

The dome of Saint James Cathedral
Heart 2 Comment 0
The Lion Gate, with Adam and Eve standing on two lions - the same theme as we saw at the Trogir Cathedral.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Adam’s lion
Heart 0 Comment 0
Saint James Cathedral
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the the distinctive features of the cathedral is a frieze with 74 sculpted heads
Heart 2 Comment 0
The interior of Saint James Cathedral
Heart 1 Comment 0
Saint Barbara Church
Heart 0 Comment 0
Inside Saint James Cathedral
Heart 2 Comment 0
Climbing, for the second time today, toward Saint Michael’s Fortress. If you look closely, there’s a cat on the railing just to Rachael’s right.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Grimacing helps when you’re faced with a tough shot
Heart 1 Comment 0
This is the same cat as above. I didn’t see it until the last minute, and almost planted my hand right on it.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Roses and pomegranate, In the garden of Saint Lawrence’s monastery
Heart 2 Comment 0
Saint Michael’s fortress gives a wonderful perspective on the cathedral.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Looking north to the Sibenik Bridge from Saint Michael’s Fortress.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Looking across to Saint James Fortress, from Barone Fortress. Remarkably, the citizens of the city built both of them in only two months, to protect against invasion by the approaching Turkish army.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Looking back at Saint Michael’s Fortress from Barone Fortress
Heart 0 Comment 0
At Barone Fortress
Heart 0 Comment 0
This is a good perspective on Šibenik‘s situation, on a bay separated from the sea by Thea narrow channel.
Heart 2 Comment 0
A panorama of Šibenik, from Barone Fortress
Heart 1 Comment 0

This evening

Yes, I know we had food photos just two nights ago, in Trogir.  Tonight was special though, the new best meal of the tour.  I’d be derelict in my responsibilities if I didn’t document it.

We ate at Nostalgija, a small place (capacity 24) under a canopy in a church courtyard.  We arrived right at six, opening time, and twelve people were already there waiting.  A half hour later, five couples were patiently sitting on the wall outside sipping their drinks and waiting for their table to come around.

I’ve included the menu.  We shared both salads (Dalmatian, and evergreen) and agreed that they were the best two salads so far.  For mains, Rachael had sea bass, and I the double pork chop (I’m working to keep my weight up); and we had both desserts.  What gluttons!

We really liked our waiter, Lorenzo.  He is also a biker (and a hiker - last year he walked from Madrid to Segovia).  He asked where we were going, then wanted to know if we were going into the Alps, then wanted to know if we were going to climb Stelvio. When we said we hoped so, his eyebrows raised up, and he whistled in appreciation.  Now, we have to do it!

Queued up and waiting
Heart 1 Comment 0
Eat here!
Heart 0 Comment 0
It doesn’t matter. It’s all good.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Best meal of the tour, as of September 4th.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0