In Roses: a hike on Cap Norfeu - An Autumn by the Sea - CycleBlaze

December 8, 2018

In Roses: a hike on Cap Norfeu

In Sant Feliu we find ourselves in a room with excellent WiFi, so it’s a good time to go back and pick up on that hike we took a few days back.  Here’s a map of the cape hiking trails, from the trailhead.  We left our bikes on the beach at Cala Pelosi, and from there walked up along the cliffs to the red dot on the map.  From there we took a short walk to Cove de les Ermites (the hermit’s cave), returned to the red dot, and then followed the yellow trail to the end of the cape and back. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

I’m not going to throw many words in here, or I’ll never get this out the door.  Just a few brief comments on the major sections.  The first was the short climb up the side of the neck of the cape.  More of a scramble really, with a sharp drop off to the sea on the right.  We resolved not to come down the same way on our return.  

Other than the precariousness of the trail, we were most impressed by the vegetation, as we passed one 🎵cool desert plant of the day🎵 After another.  A very impressive display.

Heart 2 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltNice, you got both the solid blue-green and the green and yellow varieties of the century plant in one shot! And an old dead flower stalk from last summer too!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agave_americana
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Scott AndersonThanks for pointing that out, Bill. I was focused on the stalk and the cute chick in front of it, and didn’t notice the foliage.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Heart 2 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltProbably would not risk gathering those cactus fruits!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Heart 2 Comment 3
Bill ShaneyfeltNice picture of spineless prickly pear. In Mexico, they are called nopales for the pads and tunas for the fruits. I like them!

https://www2.palomar.edu/users/warmstrong/ecoph19.htm
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bill ShaneyfeltSpineless! I knew there was something different about them, but didn’t pick up on that.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Jen RahnRemember Esparzas restaurant on 28th and Ankeny?

They had an appetizer called nopalitos ... A spineless, yet delicious appetizer.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
This one intrigued us. It feels like a prickly pear, but the blades aren’t paddle shaped.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltProbably cow's tongue prickly pear.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Opuntia_engelmannii_var_linguiformis_kz3.JPG
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bill ShaneyfeltCow’s tongue? I wonder where they came up with that name?
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Image not found :(
This attractive plant is actually a menace - those leaves are really practically thorns.
Heart 2 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltCould not find a really good image match, but possibly a species of broom?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genista
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bill ShaneyfeltMaybe. If so though, it’s quite unlike any I’ve seen before.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago

We found ourselves just a bit confused at the orientation sign.  We intended to walk out to the end of th cape, but with four roads or paths to choose from we couldn’t quite orient ourselves and picked the wrong one, finding ourselves walking up the south side of the cape on a short trail that dead ends at the hermit’s cave.  It was a lucky mistake, because we got some fine views south along Cap Creus, and the cave was very interesting to explore.  It’s a bit remote and Cred, but I think we could mak3 it work for us.  Since our plans for the flat in Ceret fell through, we’re considering making a bid on the cave.

The view to the south end of Cap Creus. Cadaques is just around that headland, I believe.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltI give up... Some kind of daisy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astereae
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Heart 2 Comment 0
The hermit’s cave looks very attractive. Quiet neighborhood, great view. Now if we can just figure out how to run power up here for the heated towel rack.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Plenty of room for the likes of us. There’s even a side channel that would work very well as a guest chamber, for tube shaped guests.
Heart 2 Comment 5
Scott AndersonTo Andrea BrownYou’re so quick! Jen will be quite put out with you.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Andrea BrownHonestly, she is more tube shaped than I, I'll give it to her.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Andrea BrownI’m sure it would be fine. If you’re uncertain, we’ll tie a line to your leg so we can tug you back out.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Jen RahnTo Andrea BrownWe can totally share! Especially if we each have our own heated towel rack!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago

The walk out to the mirador at the end of the cape was outstanding.  Interesting vegetation, colorful rock formations, an intriguing small tower at the crown of the ridge, outstanding views across the Gulf of Roses.  We sat and ate lunch at the end of the cape, and then headed back in midafternoon.  We stopped on the way to explore the tower, and were impressed with the fantastic acoustics inside.  We thought you should enjoy them yourselves, so we made a demo tape for your listening pleasure.

Come on, pokey!
Heart 3 Comment 0
I really like knowing how to recognize rosemary now, ever since Andrea was kind enough to identify it do us. We’re seeing it everywhere now. It’s almost a dominant species on the north side of this cape.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 1
Bill ShaneyfeltCould not find a good image match. Looks like some kind of asteraceae.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asteraceae
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Jen RahnExcellent tower acoustics demo!

Maybe you could go back and record a Christmas album?
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jen RahnI’m not sure about an Xmas album but I have been thinking about the singing cowboy circuit, if I can just figure out how to keep from falling off the bike while videoing myself. My big regret about the tower video is that we didn’t think to add a refrain of Goodbye, Old Paint.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago