In Montpellier: Rest day - An Autumn by the Sea - CycleBlaze

November 20, 2018

In Montpellier: Rest day

We could probably have gotten out on our bikes today; but it’s cold, rain threatens, and there’s a beautiful new city to explore.  We’re about due for a day off anyway, so this feels like the right time.  A good time for a bit of a break from the blog too, so we’re just putting up a skeleton entry and giving the fingertips a break too.  Just a couple of notes before we close the book for the day.

First, we love our apartment.  It’s in the top floor of a classic building facing on Place de la Comédie, the heart of the old city.  Helene, our host, tells us that it’s typical of fine old Montpellier structures - the unit is part of what was originally a narrow five story family home occupied by a multigenearational extended family.  Sort of a family condominium.  

It’s spacious and well equipped, with a washer, complete kitchen, and two bedrooms.  Roomy enough for a small family - when we first met Helene, she was surprised to see there were just the two of us and our two bikes.  Where are the other three, she asked?  Somehow we had indicated we were a party of five in our booking, and she had prepared the unit with extra towels, coffee and so on.

And, the piece de resistance: it has an espresso maker we know how to operate!

It’s another Nespresso! And it works just the same as the orange model! We are so happy.
Heart 2 Comment 0

As is becoming our style on rest days, we split up for half the day.  Rachael spent the morning walking up to the zoo and through its park grounds, while I wandered around at random through the neighborhood. We both had a great time, and both came back in love with this city.  It will not be surprising if we came back here for an extended stay some year.  For myself, I’m a bit reminded of Paris, but on a smaller, much less crowded scale.

The highlight of Rachael’s morning was when she stopped in at a cafe adjacent to the zoo for some tea and a facilities break.  She was seated in a room with a glass wall overlooking the monkey house.  She sat nursing her tea while being entertained by macaques and lemurs swinging through the foliage a few feet from her table.

We met back at the apartment at midday for lunch, which we shared at a nearby creperie.  Afterwards we walked over to a hairdresser she found on the internet, to see if she could make an appointment.  The hairdresser spoke very limited English, but understood what was asked.  After briefly consulting her calendar she looked up smiling, and suggested now would be perfect.

So, that’s the day.  Tomorrow’s weather looks to be improved, so we’ll be off on a day ride.  See you then.

The look before the cut
Heart 0 Comment 0
Voila! Tres chic. I have a new French companion.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Our apartment is in this building. Top floor, dead center, on the backside (no view).
Heart 2 Comment 0
Another angle on our home of the moment
Heart 2 Comment 0
The fountain in the center of Place de la Comedie
Heart 2 Comment 0
This could be set in Paris
Heart 2 Comment 0
Some colorful torsi
Heart 0 Comment 0
The same scene as above, but after the crowds and sun have come out.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Eglise Saint Roch, a modern (XIX century) church in the gothic style to honor the city’s 15th century native, the patron saint of plague victims.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We were lured inside the church by the sound of its organ through the open door.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A skylight in Elise Saint Roch
Heart 2 Comment 0
The building facing Saint Roch has apparently been converted to apartments. The windows of unoccupied units are painted with illustrations of its potential inhabitants.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Steve Miller/GrampiesAre you sure it is a window and not a trompe d,oeuil wall painting?
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Steve Miller/GrampiesThat’s correct, it’s a painting. I came across a few other buildings like this in the neighborhood this morning. However, it looks to me like the intent is the same, and I’m assuming they mask real windows because some are exposed and appear to be lived-in units. Not positive though.

I am positive though that it’s not a real cat.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Cat shot for the day
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 2
Jacquie GaudetFunny that it’s in English....
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Jacquie GaudetYes! That’s just what I thought.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0