In Bressanone - An Autumn by the Sea - CycleBlaze

October 1, 2018

In Bressanone

Rest day!  And a bona fide one for a change - we didn’t take the bikes out of the garage, and didn’t walk all that much either.  We loafed around in the room for a good chunk of the day, avoiding the rain, reading, catching up on the journal, route planning.  We made it out for some key errands though: lunch, dinner, and a trip to the sporting goods store for me to buy a new pair of bike socks.  I brought three pair at the start of the tour, but am effectively down to one now: one was apparently left behind somewhere, and one was actually Rachael’s - which works badly on my size 12 feet: the socks slide down and bunch up around my toes, and hurt my feet.  Oh, and one more thing - we looked around the town a bit, and in particular checked out the very impressive cathedral and cloisters.  A perfect rainy day activity.

On the planning front, we’re trying to decide how much more time to spend in the mountains.  We have a two night reservation in Ortiseistarting tomorrow, just a few miles off the Sella Ronda (Ortisei is another place we’re visiting for sentimental reasons - we stayed there during our 2010 ski trip also, and have wanted to see the region in the non-winter months ever since).  After that, we have nine uncommitted days before our next reservation, on Lake Como.  We’d like a few more days in the mountains, but it’s getting cold up there now and I think the higher elevations may be getting snow tonight.  We’ll play it a day at a time, but we may be coming to the end of our mountain experience for this year.

The right way to start the day
Heart 3 Comment 0
In Bressanone’s large pedestrian/bike zone
Heart 3 Comment 0
Image not found :(
Yes, this looks like a good choice for a rest day.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The tower of Saint Michael’s Church dates to the XVI century, but the oldest remains are from the eleventh.
Heart 0 Comment 0
On the left, Saint Michael’s Church; on the right, a wing of the cathedral.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bressanone Cathedral
Heart 1 Comment 0
One of the two bell towers and sundial of the cathedral
Heart 0 Comment 0
The central nave of the cathedral, which also includes two smaller, less ornate side naves.
Heart 2 Comment 0
In the central nave of Bressanone Cathedral
Heart 0 Comment 0
In the central nave of Bressanone Cathedral
Heart 2 Comment 0
In Bressanone Cathedral. I especially like this one - it looks like a paper cut in front of the window.
Heart 4 Comment 0
In Bressanone Cathedral
Heart 0 Comment 0
The cloister
Heart 4 Comment 0
The cloister.
Heart 3 Comment 0
The cloister
Heart 2 Comment 0
The cloister
Heart 2 Comment 0
Bressanone after dark
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bressanone after dark
Heart 0 Comment 0
Bressanone after dark
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 0