Hubcaps and Bungee Cords - Doyle-Baker ride the Southern Tier - CycleBlaze

February 23, 2018

Hubcaps and Bungee Cords

Day 6 : Wellton,AZ to Dateland,Az

Hubcaps and Bungee cords.   I have labeled this entry as such due to the unbelievable number of bungee cords and hubcaps littering the side of the road.   

Today was a bikers dream ride. We had 20mph westerly winds pushing us along, and as we had to ride Interstate#8 the shoulders were well maintained.  At different times we all just coasted along for at least 1/2 miles, wind so powerful. We avoided the smaller highway #80 due to the broken payment we had encountered the day before. We all suffered loose bolts, and shaken biker phobia such as I had when at the beginning of our ride my front tire was shaking pretty good. Tim checked it and apparently the rough roads from the day before had loosened the   quick release skewer , which I'm told goes through the axel to keep the tire from falling off. Fixing this prevented me from what could have been a horrible fall.  

Arizona and especially around Interstate 8 is pretty busy with train traffic. We see at least 4 to 6 freight trains daily. 

We met a independent , solo biker today who is riding across the country. He is self sufficient and towing a trailer and is on a $600 budget. He tells us his plans are to move to Thailand in the summer and work with a bike touring company there. Good luck Steve.

Kudos to Maggie who is 7 weeks post ACL tear and MCL sprain. She has been riding daily and the last two days without Motrin or any pain medication. Beer PRN

We are nicely settled in a RV campground in the Mohawk Valley  at Dateland, AZ.  There are no motels around Dateland  we have set up our tents beside The Bus.  Dateland is know   for its variety of dates both locally grown and imported. They are famous for the Date Milkshake sold at the local  Texaco  station , which is also home to the local sub shop, and campground.

Elevation today, 497Ft. climbed.   Temperatures today: 41F  up to 63F

Today's ride: 38 miles (61 km)
Total: 228 miles (367 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Bob ReidSeeing as how I do not understand all short form acronyms does Beer PRN stand for "beer pre ride nutrition"???
Reply to this comment
6 years ago
Donna DoyleTo Bob ReidIt could Bob. Or also as needed
Reply to this comment
6 years ago