Days 25 - Doyle-Baker ride the Southern Tier - CycleBlaze

March 15, 2018

Days 25

Passed the 1000 mile marker

Miles:  59.75                   Elevation :  3/15: 1613 feet of climb. 

    Today and tomorrow were climbing days for certain as we ride out of the valley to the plateau. Vegetation is changing as well, more grass, trees and pasture land. 

We left Sanderson,Tx on 3/15 and road to Langtry,Tx. home of famed outlaw  Judge Roy Bean who became the  self appointed justice of the land West of the Peco's . A colorful character worthy of further reading. The Texas Dept. of Transportation  manages a visitor center in Langtry which brings many visitors every year.Langtry itself has a population of only 13 people. One gentleman,Mike came to our campsite to welcome us and gave us some history of this colorful community. While in Langtry we also visited the cemetery  to see if we could find any founding citizens. We hiked to a bluff not far from our campsite that overlooked the Rio Grande River which is the border between Texas and Mexico in this part of Texas.  A pleasantly warm night for a change but with high winds made interesting  tenting, Maggie reports that she took refuge  in the motor home as the wind was to intense for their tent. While in Langtry we had a surprise visit from Abbey, a biker from Alaska/California that we'd met earlier, she had dinner with us and shared our campsite as she was on her own as her fellow bikers had more bike troubles and didn't make it to camp. 

Assorted photos from Langtry, Tx
Heart 2 Comment 0
Time,Maggie and George at the Judge Roy Bean Visitors Center
Heart 1 Comment 3
Bob Reidyou people are true troupers!
Reply to this comment
6 years ago
Donna DoyleThanks, we try
Reply to this comment
6 years ago
Mike MontgomeryIts fun following your adventures. We went to that visitors center but the only two things I remember are: Peculiar they had such a nice visitors center but the town was so small and the visitors center had awesome bathroom facilities (maybe because we had been camping).
Reply to this comment
6 years ago
Jeff and Donna
Heart 3 Comment 2
Bob Reidyour looking good, how are you feeling overall?
Reply to this comment
6 years ago
Donna DoyleGeneral assessment: everyone feels good and no injuries reported. Maggies knee is healing and she no longer suffers much pain, unless after a particularly hilly ride. Thanks for asking.
Reply to this comment
6 years ago
Maggie has never been to Mexico and we couldn't convince her to visit this trip so we at least took a photo of her with Mexico in the background.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rio Grande River as seen in Langtry, Tx
Heart 2 Comment 0
Tim, George & Wilson on the Bluff
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 60 miles (97 km)
Total: 1,041 miles (1,675 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0