Day 41 - Doyle-Baker ride the Southern Tier - CycleBlaze

April 2, 2018

Day 41

Manou, LA to Simmsport, LA

Manou, LA to Simmsport,LA

miles:   66.5              Elevation:   511 feet        Flats: 0

A beautiful day for a ride. We all gather at the local cafe in Manou to have breakfast. We are joined for breakefast by Kevin White who is a lone rider travelling East to West. Derek  has been following Kevin on facebook & thus we were able to meet him in Manou.  He gives us an overview of his travels thus far and tells us of some of the road conditions ahead. Safe travels Kevin.  We will be leaving Manou with its colorful cast of characters and haunted Kazar Hotel, no we didn’t see any ghosts but I did sleep with one eye open, so to speak , knowing that they might make an appearance. 

On our ride today we passed by more crawfish/rice fields, so next time you use or buy rice look and see where it was grown, maybe here in Louisiana.  New crops we see are fields of sugar cane and shorgum. 

 

Our ride is mostly flat today, so thats a wonderful change with more then 60 miles ahead of us today. We ride  state and local roads. The American Cycling Association route has taken us through the beautiful state park of Chioctu. We were graced with the appearance of white tailed deer and road over the Chiot   bridge that housed cypress trees.  Beautiful green landscape, healthy trees and the sweet smell of jasmine. If we hadn’t had to deal with lose dogs chasing after us it would have been perfect.  

We checked  into the Sportsman hotel here in Simmsport, unfortunaletly it is the ONLY place to stay, you get what you pay for with this place, and $45. doesn’t buy much!  I understand the new owners have plans to redo it but right now, in present time, we should have camped. 

The Crew on 4/2/18
Heart 1 Comment 0
Chicot State Park, LA
Heart 2 Comment 0
Lake Chicot
Heart 2 Comment 0
Sportsman Inn, made better with George's RV park there
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 67 miles (108 km)
Total: 1,878 miles (3,022 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0