Day 24 - Doyle-Baker ride the Southern Tier - CycleBlaze

March 14, 2018

Day 24

more head Winds

Started the day early back at the Truck Stop with breakfast burritos and a beautiful sunrise. We then drove back West of Sanderson to the picnic site that George had set up camp the night before as this is where yesterday's ride ended for us and where todays ride began. Saw a beautiful herd of Elk along the way.We had a scheduled 35 mile ride back to the Budget Inn at Sanderson and hoped  to do an additional extra 15-20 miles to subtract from tomorrows ride. Tim & Maggie are always  tweeking our routes to make them more  enjoyable for all of us. Tomorrows ride to Langtree is a scheduled 61 miles. Long story short, we did the 35mi against 15-25mph headwinds and turns out that was enough riding for today. Today was cold and the first time I've had to wear  2 pairs of socks, 2 pairs of riding pants and 4 layers up top, yes the Michelin tire  look and we were all pretty much dressed the same. Its forecasted to be 80 by Friday. 

Sanderson, Tx. is another small border town in economic decline. It is sad to see so many boarded up store fronts. In 1965 this was a very busy active sheep ranching area with huge export of wool. A major flood destroyed a large part of the town and railroad  in 65 but the town rallied back until 1993 when the subsidies on wool were discontinued  and the small sheep ranches here were forced into foreclosure. Amtrak still stops in Sanderson but mostly for those going somewhere else. People are friendly and optimistic , cattle ranching is now the more common and there is a US Border Patrol Regional headquarters located here. 

Sunrise this morning
Heart 4 Comment 0
Love the name
Heart 1 Comment 0
welcome to Sanderson, Texas
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
old rail station
Heart 1 Comment 0
cute little building near motel
Heart 1 Comment 0
hardware store in Sanderson has these and many more characters on display
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 36 miles (58 km)
Total: 981 miles (1,579 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Mike MontgomeryThanks for the great photos and story. Tomorrow you will be into three digits (miles not number of flats).
Reply to this comment
6 years ago