Day 14 - Doyle-Baker ride the Southern Tier - CycleBlaze

March 3, 2018

Day 14

we put Arizona behind us

MIles: 50.8       1236ft of climb, 1087 ft of downhill    Winds: favorable 

 A tasty , hearty breakfast at the Mana’ Bakery in Douglas gave us a good start for todays journey.

Most of todays ride was on Route 80 which parelled the old Southwestern Railroad. 

Highways follow most of the route of the El Paso and Southwestern Railroad. Beginning in Tucson, Arizona, Arizona State Route 80 (formerly U.S. Route 80) largely parallels the railroad grade south to Douglas. State Route 80 then follows the old tracks northeast to Rodeo, New Mexico. The tracks diverge from the highway here, and largely follow Gas Line Road until it intersects with New Mexico State Road 9 near Animas, New Mexico. State Road 9 runs next to or on top of the old railroad grade until it reaches El Paso, Texas.

We stopped to take photos at the Skeleton Canyon  of the monument deplicting the surrender of Geronimo , the last holdout of the Native Americans ending their struggle  against the white mans aggression.  

We leave behind the state of Arizona and entered New Mexico our 3rd state at Rodeo, NM which is where we will stay for tonight and tomorrow.  We have taken lodging at the Mountain Valley Lodge & RV Park. Small, rustic and very comfortable. 

Todays ride was like the terrain in the 1967’-70 TV show, the High Chapparal with Leigh Erickson and Cameron Mitchell. Waving yellow grass against a dropback of the Chiricahua Mountains. We got to see different wildlife along the way. 

Flats: 1                Bike Tire Belt break - 1 

Today's ride: 51 miles (82 km)
Total: 556 miles (895 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 7
Comment on this entry Comment 1
Lynda ReidI sent you a message on FB. Check it out. Your photos today are very interesting especially one! Enjoy tomorrow. Sunny and bright here today but a very cold northwest wind made it very deceiving, it was really very chilly!
Reply to this comment
6 years ago