Day 13 - Doyle-Baker ride the Southern Tier - CycleBlaze

March 2, 2018

Day 13

Mile High Ride

Sierra Vista to Douglas, Arizona . Douglas is on the Mexico border. Went we went to dinner this evening the line of cars going into Mexico reminded me somewhat of the traffic at the Niagara Falls,NY border, crazy busy. 

Our trip today was 60.4 miles, the longest day thus far. Elevation gained was 1884.7 Ft. Elevation loss 2,360.2 ft.  Max grade was 5.1%Leaving Sierra Vista we were challenged by 2 ten mile long hills. Thank goodness the grade wasn't to steep, just constant.  Winds were pretty mild early on and temperatures a beautiful 75 degrees by mid afternoon.  We continued with high desert terrain and mountains in the distance, beautiful. 20 miles from Douglas we passed through the old copper mining town of Bisbee which has an elevation of 5300ft. Outside of Bisbee we were treated to a fun 12mile downhill run. Traffic was unfortunately busy so we had to control our downhill speeds.  Jeff and I got a little turned around in Douglas, took a wrong turn and ended up on the historic main street and got to see the historic hotel Gadsden.(http://thegadsdenhotel.com/history/) Douglas was a established as a smelting town for all the copper being mined in nearby Bisbee. 

Road debris award today has to go to shoes,I've never seen so many shoes on the roadside. How do they get there? Do people just get tired of a certain pair and toss them out of cars, or do people put them on top of the car roof and forget to put them inside before they take off. Has me guessing.

Flats: 0 

Bisbee,Arizona
Heart 1 Comment 0
Tim & Jeff climbing the uphill
Heart 0 Comment 2
Bob Reidlooks like nice wide bike shoulder.
Reply to this comment
6 years ago
Donna DoyleTo Bob ReidFor the most part shoulders have been pretty good. Occasionally to narrow or way to bumpy with expansion joints & tar. But mostly good for riding
Reply to this comment
6 years ago
a time to rest and confirm plans
Heart 2 Comment 0
Sonoran Mtn. Range
Heart 4 Comment 0
Gadsden Hotel
Heart 2 Comment 1
Bob ReidI’m quite certain Jeff did not get lost, he just wanted to show his honey another famous landmark 🙄
Reply to this comment
6 years ago

Today's ride: 60 miles (97 km)
Total: 505 miles (813 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Lynda ReidRoad debris shoes have left you guessing and me asking "Was there a pair anywhere"?
Reply to this comment
6 years ago
Donna DoyleTo Lynda Reidactually there were a couple of pairs but mostly singles
Reply to this comment
6 years ago
Lynda ReidTo Donna DoyleAny with picking up... that would be a great tale when somebody asks "wherever did you get those great shoes"
Reply to this comment
6 years ago