Verona - Dyn-o-mite In The Dolomites 2022 - CycleBlaze

July 26, 2022 to July 27, 2022

Verona

So.  What did we do in Verona?  That's a great question.

Now that I have finally sat down and dedicated some time to writing a little blurb about our time in Verona, I really have to think about what we actually did during the two days that we spent there.   I'm going to blame the heat for my slow recollection.   But, I know one thing for sure.  If your looking for any cycling related writing or photos about Verona, you're in the wrong journal.   There was no cycling to be had in Verona.  Oh, I had plans for a good day ride, but the heat incinerated those plans.

For the most part we just wandered around, really.  Verona is a lovely city to wander around in, and we played our usual game of avoid the crowds.  With travel opening up around the world, and the pent up demand for people needing a change of scenery, avoiding the crowds is even more challenging.  But, Sue and I are good at this game.  

Verona is a great city for just walking around.  There are plenty of small narrow medieval streets to get lost in.  Many of them lined with small osterias and cafes, and we spent a lot of time just sitting and watching people.

Us. Here we are in the Piazza delle Erbe, the oldest town square in Verona. The Torre dei Lamberti soaring behind us.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Same shot without our big melons in the way.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Verona.
Heart 2 Comment 0

We do have to admit that we are both done with the heat, and most of our meanderings where ultimately determined by seeking shade, or at least the shady sides of the streets.  It was interesting to observe this phenomenon throughout the day as each cafe and restaurant patio seemed to have its time in the sun, and its time in the shade; and people gravitated to the shade, of course.  So, we too, spent our time hunting for valuable shady real estate throughout the day, and when you found a table under an umbrella in the shade, you felt like you won the lottery.

We are both looking forward to the day when we are free to travel during the non summer months; cooler temperatures, less expensive flights and accommodation, and fewer people.  Dare to dream.

The Roman Arena di Verona. Built in the 1st Century. This arena is said to be one of the best preserved Roman amphitheaters, and is still very much in use today, hosting concerts and operas. It's capacity was once 33 000 people, now it is said to hold about 20 000.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Arena di Verona
Heart 1 Comment 0
Arena di Verona and the crowds.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Arena di Verona.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The Roman Bridge and the Adige.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Porta Borsari. The main Roman gate which allowed entry into the walled old city of Verona. From the 1st century.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Roman ruins. Verona.
Heart 5 Comment 0
Back at the Piazza delle Erbe.
Heart 5 Comment 0

I took a walk up the hill to Castel San Pietro for an elevated view of the city.  This location was a strategic spot, particularly as a lookout and to keep control over the comings and goings on the Adige River.  Over the years, it is said to have had pre-Roman structures dating back to the Iron Age, and later Roman temples, and places of worship.  The Castel San Pietro is a relatively recent addition dating from the 18th century.

View of Verona from Castel San Pietro.
Heart 2 Comment 0
View of Verona from Castel San Pietro.
Heart 5 Comment 0
View of Verona from Castel San Pietro.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Descending the stairs.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Descending.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Props for the opera outside the Arena di Verona.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Props for the opera outside the Arena di Verona.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Verona.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Verona.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 10
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Jacquie GaudetBeing able to travel outside the summer months was what prompted me to take early retirement. Had I known there was a pandemic coming, I probably would have just taken a term's leave (for French Fling) and worked for one or two more years.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Patrick O'HaraGood for you. Early retirement sounds kinda nice 😉
Reply to this comment
1 year ago