Travel. - Dyn-o-mite In The Dolomites 2022 - CycleBlaze

July 6, 2022

Travel.

With a turn of the key to our place, we schlepped our gear at 4:20am down the elevator and emptied ourselves on the street as we waited for the van that I had ordered the night before.  The streets were quiet and the roads were slick from the overnight rain.

Our cab/van was to pick us up promptly at 4:30, but once 4:40 arrived and there was no van in sight, we began to get anxious so we called them to see what was up.  The dispatcher did not have good news.  He said that there were no vans available, at which point I began to point out the obvious flaw in their system.  "Why was I able to book on line successfully last night and confirm a van?  Why didn't we get a head's up via text or email that no van would be there?"  I was pissed.  With empty apologies from the cab company, I hung up and we had to resort to Plan B.

So, Sue and I had to throw money at this problem in the form of calling for two cabs, and we would each have to go separately to the airport.   We're lucky we live relatively close to YVR,  so a minor hiccup to the beginning of the tour.

Not exactly the smoothest start to a tour.   

Waiting for a no show.
Heart 2 Comment 3
Scott AndersonThat’s a disgusting story. Canada is such a terrible country. Nothing like that would happen down south of you.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetWe had a similar issue--we had ordered a van taxi and when it was late and I called to see where it might be, I was asked if I really needed a van. Yes, that's why I specifically booked one!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Patrick O'HaraExactly our experience! So frustrating, eh?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

We are lucky that we always leave extra time when we travel.  It's circumstances like this that could end up as total trip enders.  We are also fortunate that we both mistakenly assumed that this was an international flight, so we gave ourselves even more time than usual.  In actual fact, the first leg was a domestic flight from Vancouver to Toronto.  As we stood outside we fist pumped, and thanked our good fortune that we had so much wiggle room for time this morning.  

Thankful our gear and bikes arrived unscathed. Those who cycle tour know that the number one concern and worry is: "We hope the bikes arrive okay." Canada Customs always seems to love to snoop through our luggage after we have checked our bags.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Scott AndersonSuzanna’s hair sprouted! No haircut since Covid?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago

Calling of the Wood Dove.

One of the sounds that always reminds us that we are back in Europe is the calling of the Wood Dove or  Wood Pigeon.   This bird is prevalent all over Europe and it's soothing call is a warm reminder that we are grateful to be able to travel once again and hear it's lovely coo once more.  If you'd like to hear its call click on Wood Dove.  I'm sure even those pigeon haters out there will will agree that these delightful birds have a calming song.

Outside Hotel Venice Resort.
Heart 2 Comment 0
The bikes went together fine. There appears to be no major issues except for some minor brake pad alignment issues. This is great news and can't wait to begin the cycling part of this trip.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0

That unavoidable nauseous wave of jet lag soon settled into our bodies after the bikes were put together, so we napped before heading out in the early evening for a walk.  We're staying just near Marco Polo Airport in the small town of Tessara; which is about a 5 minute cab ride away.  There's not much to the place, but we got in a lovely walk along the town canal and out to the sea, overlooking the airport.  And, off in the distance the many spires and domes of Venice and the other islands that make up this archipelago could be seen off in the distance.

We used the extreme zoom lens of our Panasonic Lumix ZXS-60 to get this shot. It's actually quite impressive how good the zoom is since this scene was quite a ways off on the horizon.
Heart 1 Comment 0

During our walk, we watched people fishing, vaporettos gliding through the water, and a dark incoming rain cloud that eventually emptied itself on us.  Which brings me to an interaction I had with Sue; whereby I was forced to eat my words, and then consume a big piece of humble pie for dessert. 

I noticed earlier that Sue had packed an umbrella in her panniers and I questioned her on this decision.  "Why did you pack an umbrella when you were so concerned about how heavy your pannier bags were?  We don't need an umbrella!"  She quite rightly pointed out later from under her umbrella and smugly remarked:  "Don't need an umbrella, uh?  We have not even been here for four hours and it's already been put to good use."  I took my penance and walked back into town deservedly soaked.  

Here comes that rain.....The distant foot hills of the beginning of the Venetian Alps off in the distance.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Out building beside our hotel.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 6 Comment 5
Scott AndersonSo envious! We’ll have to find room in Rachael’s pannier for one.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonTo Scott AndersonNo way!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Rachael AndersonLooks the umbrella goes in your bags Scott.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Jacquie GaudetI was standing in line at MEC to buy chain lube and saw some really light "travel umbrellas" but Al nixed the idea. Maybe I'll get one for a future trip.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Patrick O'HaraHi Jacquie. HaHa. Maybe Al could carry it? But, it doesn't sound too keen on the idea.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
There is a big push in Tessara to get bike lanes in the area. There seems to be controversy around this as we saw several posters like this around on our walk.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An Aperol Spritz to end the day.
Heart 1 Comment 0
And a donar at the local Kebap shop. If you are in Europe and you are stuck for food, there's always a Kebap shop somewhere around. We love them!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our room at Venice Resort. A clean and convenient place to stay near the airport. You will be seeing this place again at the end of our trip. They are storing our bike boxes for us for our departure from Venice on the 30th.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 12
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Scott AndersonHave a wonderful tour, you two. Best of luck on everything.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Rachael AndersonGlad to see you made it. I look forward to reading your journal. Have a great time!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Patrick O'HaraWell. You both have kept the adventure alive for many of us. You guys are pretty inspiring. So, thanks to you both as well.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago