Bike and Hike. - Dyn-o-mite In The Dolomites 2022 - CycleBlaze

July 13, 2022

Bike and Hike.

Up to Cant del Gal and the Pradidali Valley.

A sturdy little climb up to Cant del Gal.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hike.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The return trip.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today we're changing things up and including a hike with our bike.  It would be a shame not to get away from the tarmac in an hiker's paradise like this, so I put my chunky day hikers to use, and can now say that I was justified in lugging them all the way to Europe in my panniers.  

Let's put these things to some use on this trip.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We threw off our duvet covers this morning (we just can't get used to this yet), had breakfast, grabbed the bikes from the hotel garage and were off by 9am.  

As side note,  I would like to make as observation as a visitor to this area.  I have to say that the church bells that rang every hour on the hour throughout the whole night was rather curious.  Like curiously annoying.  Not sure what the church is thinking?  Is it a sin to get a decent night's sleep?  If someone can explain this to us, and shed some light on this cultural/religious practice and throw a logical explanation out there, we'd sure love to hear it.  But, I'll bet you 10 bucks we're not going to buy it.

Anyways, back to today.

Our ride began with a very tough slog up to Cant del Gal which is at the end of a side road off of SS347, and the location of many trailheads leading hikers high into the extraordinary Dolomites.  Our objective was a stroll along one of the trails to the Refugio Pradidali.  After yesterday's tough day, we had no expectations about reaching the Refugio which required a  hike with a 1300m elevation gain, in addition to the 500m of elevation we rode to get here.  We just decided we would walk up the valley as far as we felt and check things out.

Susanna approaching Cant del Gal. Can you look at that?
Heart 9 Comment 2
Kathleen JonesBefore I read the caption I said “Whoa - look at that!”
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Patrick O'HaraTo Kathleen JonesHi Kathleen. Thanks for your comment. Ha ha. It's a totally appropriate reaction. This place is stunning.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
End of the road. Cant del Gal.
Heart 5 Comment 0
I believe this mountain is Cima Faudusta. Center. Cant del Gal.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We were never sure if these signs were distances or time. Either way, we never found out.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Beginning of the trail to Refugio Pradidali.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Take a look at this little beauty.
Heart 9 Comment 2
Bill Shaneyfelt6 spot burnet moth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six-spot_burnet
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Patrick O'HaraWow. One of the most beautiful and colourful moths I've seen. Thanks Bill.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
During this part of the hike we could not help but think about the people who lost their lives on Marmolada last week. There are many stories in Italian news about the state of the low snow pack and record low river flows in the Po and Piave Rivers due to increasing record temperatures and climate change.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Just hiking.
Heart 5 Comment 0

We didn't get very far up the valley, but we didn't have to.  The views and scenery slowed us down; as well as the butterflies that seemed to flit away every time we tried to take a photo.

Another little beauty.
Heart 6 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltSome species of ringlet butterfly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erebia
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Patrick O'HaraThanks again, Bill. I'll try to remember this for next time we see one.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
One grateful guy.
Heart 2 Comment 0
One grateful gal.
Heart 4 Comment 0
I'm not sure how she does it. As someone with red/green colour blindness, Sue always wins in the find the strawberry game. They were really small, but very tasty.
Heart 3 Comment 0
Forget those massive Dolomites! Take a look at me, I'm amazing too.
Heart 2 Comment 0
So am I.
Heart 4 Comment 2
Bill ShaneyfeltA species of fritillary.

http://www.wildlifeinsight.com/european-fritillary-butterflies-nymphalidae/
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Patrick O'HaraThanks Bill. A beautiful butterfly, but very elusive and hard to shoot. The name seems appropriate as it really did flit around.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Little fishing lake where we stopped to watch trout swim and the crayfish fight.
Heart 4 Comment 0
Sue descending the very steep gradients back to Fiera. Steep right?
Heart 5 Comment 0

Today's ride: 15 km (9 miles)
Total: 247 km (153 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 9
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Rachael AndersonGlad to hear you got out on a hike. What a beautiful place!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Patrick O'HaraHey Rachael. Thanks. It's a nice change, as you well know.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago