Drunk On Art - Touring DIFFERENTLY - CycleBlaze

August 14, 2022

Drunk On Art

Minneapolis, Minnesota

This morning, while proofreading yesterday's post, I noticed my writing looked more like that of a chamber of commerce tour guide than that of a wide-eyed explorer of unknown territory.  I guess that's because, having lived in various locales in the Twin Cities metro area since 1982, I'm pretty familiar with it.  I haven't seen ALL of it though--a fact that was reinforced while doing a little research this week.  I hope that little extra effort will provide a few exciting things for all of us to discover together over the next couple of days and, in turn, a peppier narrative.

I knew today's ride would present several unique challenges, and last night I lost a good five minutes of sleep worrying about them.  First there was the 12-mile trek between downtown St. Paul and downtown Minneapolis, followed by another 15-20 miles I knew I'd have to ride in order to get photos of all the things I wanted to brag about in my journal.

I was also concerned about the distances between services--not because they'd be great distances apart, but because they'd be so close together that I'd have major difficulties choosing between them.  I also had to worry about the psychological toll of riding all day with an almost total lack of significant hills.  And then there's the stoplights . . . lots and lots of stoplights.  There's a good possibility that I'd be standing at stoplights for almost as much time as I'd be turning the pedals.  I don't know how well I'd be able to deal with that.

I hate to give away too much too early, but let's just say, today I faced the challenges head-on and overcame all of them.  And I had a very nice exploration of Minneapolis, just as I did yesterday in the other Twin City--the older Twin City, the less cool Twin City, the more working class Twin City, the F. Scott Fitzgerald city.  

Now, back to the beginning of today's story.

The streets were quiet and the air was cool in downtown St. Paul this morning.  I chose to ride back up the hill to the cathedral district, and then ride Summit Avenue almost all the way to the Mississippi River, which forms the border between the two cities.  I didn't get that far yesterday. 

Look, G-2, you KNOW Summit Avenue is something special when the governor of Minnesota lives here.
Heart 2 Comment 0
This fine private college is also on Summit Avenue. I've recently--like today--been told by a Cycleblazer that the residence of the college's president has more than ten bathrooms. He knows this information because he toured the place once. Now, as he suggested, I might never be able to ride past here again without thinking about all those toilets.
Heart 1 Comment 0

I was happy to cross the river and start visiting some of Minneapolis' iconic art venues.  My first order of business was to try to find the city's newest work of art--the George Floyd Memorial.  It's been two years since the infamous incident, and I've not yet visited the place.  In my opinion, there's no better time to correct that omission than on a cycling mini-tour.

I knew I was getting close when I started seeing a lot of hand-painted signs in people's yards . . . like this one.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I like the "Black Power" sculpture. There are four more of them at each intersection approaching the main site.
Heart 2 Comment 0

The place is pretty eerie though.  There is still a strong police presence.  People are still yelling and chanting.  Vendors are selling "Justice for George" shirts.  There's a ton of graffiti on the sidewalks and buildings.  Cup Foods is still boarded up.  I felt uncomfortable--which may be the point--but I'm glad I came here.

I moved on to the next art venue on my agenda.  That would be the Minneapolis Institute of Art.  That place specializes in ancient works of art from all over the world.  I didn't go inside, but I took a couple of pictures from the grounds.

I also took this picture on the way because I think it might have been the first Biking Boulevard I've ever ridden on.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Two heads at the Minneapolis Art Institute. One is attached, one is decapitated.
Heart 6 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
A few blocks later, I was downtown, where my adventure continued.
Heart 0 Comment 0
That building is the Foshay Tower. It's considered an art-deco masterpiece. I can't confirm that, because I don't know art-deco from Art Garfunkel. I do think the building is pretty cool, though.
Heart 6 Comment 0
G-2 is admiring the IDS tower--the tallest building between Chicago and San Francisco.
Heart 4 Comment 0
That's Mary Tyler Moore and ME.
Heart 5 Comment 0
By sheer luck, the Downtown Minneapolis Street Art Festival was going on today. It fits right in with my arts theme.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Judging by the subject matter, I think this bit of performance art was staged by a drug recovery center.
Heart 1 Comment 0

If St. Paul is F. Scott Fitzgerald's town, Minneapolis is Prince's town.  I should have researched some Prince sites.  Maybe next time.  Yet, I DO know about the rock music venue, First Avenue.  It has always been a hip place to see music performances, but Prince made it ultra-famous by filming his concert scenes there for the movie Purple Rain.

First Avenue is probably the coolest place to be in the entire midwest.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Many great local bands and nationally famous indie-bands have played here. They get silver stars painted on the sides of the building.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
ONLY Prince gets a gold star.
Heart 2 Comment 0

I wasn't quite done yet.  I still hadn't visited the Basilica of St. Mary.  I have never been disappointed by the artistry in Catholic cathedrals and basilicas.  I also had to make a pilgrimage to the Walker art center and the adjacent sculpture garden.  So much to see, so little time.

The Basilica of St. Mary
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 3 Comment 0
The Walker's reputation extends far and wide. Apparently, it's fame has extended even to California's Bay Area.
Heart 3 Comment 2
Kathleen JonesYes indeedy! We’re often the next stop *after* the Walker of world-class exhibitions.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Gregory GarceauTo Kathleen JonesThe inside looks as cool as the outside. Unfortunately, I didn't pay the $15 to tour the Walker because I wasn't comfortable leaving my bike alone for the amount of time it would have taken to appreciate the place.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
"Spoonbridge and Cherry" is easily the most recognizable work of art in Minneapolis. Here it is, freshly repainted. That's right, it was packaged up this spring, and sent to an art specialist in New Jersey for repainting. I think I read the cost was something like $750,000.
Heart 4 Comment 5
Kathleen JonesYou’d think with all the paint experts around your neck of the woods that the job coulda been done locally, eh?
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Gregory GarceauTo Kathleen JonesHeck, I would have painted it for a couple hundred bucks.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Mike AylingThat art specialist has a good gig!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Gregory GarceauTo Mike AylingIndeed. Apparently, this business is on the cutting edge of paint technology. No doubt such a work of art needs a coating with high resistance to sun and rain. It requires multiple applications of expensive paint and clear coats. Not quite like painting a house.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Mike AylingTo Gregory GarceauA graffiti repellant coat would no doubt be included.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
The Blue Rooster is my second favorite piece in the sculpture garden.
Heart 2 Comment 0
And NOBODY can deny the artistry in the swing of the greatest hitter in baseball history, Harmon Killebrew.
Heart 4 Comment 0

The sun had come out sometime during the course of the day.  I was hot and tired, and ready to claim my room at the downtown Hampton Inn.  First, I picked up some meat, cheese and bread at a deli.  Then some beer.  The hotel is right across the street from First Avenue.  I wonder if there is a concert tonight?  If not, I wonder if they'd like me to perform?   To my ear, I'm a really good singer.

Today's ride: 30 miles (48 km)
Total: 264 miles (425 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 8
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Rachael AndersonSorry there’s no climbing! You should be with us cycling in the UK. You’d never want to do a steep climb again!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Gregory GarceauTo Rachael AndersonNo thank you. I love the beautiful, view-blockerless scenery of the Lakes District, but it seems my Tough-Guy legs and lungs aren't as tough your yours. I've attempted three 20% climbs in the past. I only completed one, and that was just three blocks long.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago