Day 5 - A Storm Is Coming: or Trouble on the Horizon - Jack and Janet PhotoBike Tour -Death Valley 2011 - CycleBlaze

March 2, 2011

Day 5 - A Storm Is Coming: or Trouble on the Horizon

 
The weather today called for wind and showers. After our hard workout from yesterday we decided that this would be a good day to drive to some of the sights we would like to see that were really to far to bike. The plan was to drive to Beatty, NV. Who knew - a city named after me....it does seem to be miss spelled though. We left Furnace Creek and headed out for Beatty via Rhyolite a ghost town. Once again there was an amazing climb and while the car seemed to be ok she started to chug and then chug, chug and then the dreaded 'check' engine light came on. Oh No.........what to do? We looked in the rear view mirror and realized what a climb we had been on and thought maybe the car would be ok if we just slowed down a little. NOT.....the chugging continued and seemed to be getting worse so we decided to head back down hoping that would take care of the issue. It helped some but not completely. We decided to head for Furnace Creek to the one service station and see if they could help. The mechanic there was not optimistic and said we needed to get to Pahrump, NV to the only mechanic in the area that had the necessary testing equipment needed to determine the issue. We finally contacted him and he would not be available until Friday (this was Wednesday). We did the only thing we could do go back to camp and get on our bicycles.

We decided to take a little tour of the Ranch and all the camp sites. There were three others besides ours. Then we rode out to Harmony Borax Works and looked at the ruins and exhibits there. I then went back to the Ranch and walked the grounds of the Borax Museum - all in all it was not a bad day.

Steam powered tractor.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Twenty Mule Team Wagon
Heart 0 Comment 0
Jack with a view!
Heart 1 Comment 0
Tables!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Wheels
Heart 1 Comment 0
Furnace Creek 178ft Below Sea Level
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 20 miles (32 km)
Total: 81 miles (130 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0