The Sussex Coast - English Channel Roundabout - CycleBlaze

September 17, 2018 to September 21, 2018

The Sussex Coast

We headed east along the coast of Sussex, starting with a quick ferry trip to Hayling Island, just outside Portsmouth. The South Coast cycle route is a mix of dedicated cycle paths and country roads. Lovely mix of farms, small towns and waterways - very pleasant cycling. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

We crossed to the mainland from Hayling Island by bridge, and followed the South Coast cycle route through Chichester and then along the coast toward Brighton for a bit, before overnighting in Angemering. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Only a few hazards to watch for.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This beach, at Bognor Regis, is typical of the Sussex coastline.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The wind piped up on our second day of riding and blew us east to Brighton. There were times we didn't need to pedal as it built throughout the day.

Strange to see all the wind machines set off shore.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We spent an interesting afternoon and evening in Brighton - a mix of wandering along the blustery waterfront, exploring the downtown and a great pub dinner. The following day we cycling up and down chalk cliffs as we made our way to Newhaven, then Seaford, before heading inland to avoid Beachey Head on our way to Eastbourne.

Fabulous white cliffs at Seaford
Heart 1 Comment 0
The beautiful Cuckmere Valley - we were fortunate to find a side-trail that took us through a farmer's fields.
Heart 1 Comment 0

We loved visiting Ange in Eastbourne for two nights and exploring this pretty coastal town by foot and bus. 

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Before we knew it, it was time to cycle back to Newhaven along the Cuckoo Trail and through the Cuckmere Valley. We had a lovely blustery day.

The Cookoo Trail has endless beautiful vistas.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Back to the Cuckmere Valley
Heart 0 Comment 0

We spent our final night in Sussex in a hotel in Newhaven and set the alarm in order to catch a ferry back to France first thing the next morning. 

Today's ride: 230 km (143 miles)
Total: 700 km (435 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 0