Returning to France, 2018 - English Channel Roundabout - CycleBlaze

August 29, 2018 to September 29, 2018

Returning to France, 2018

We enjoyed the 2,000 km September 2017 cycle tour that took us along the Mosel, and through the Doubs Valley, Burgundy and Alsace so much that the notion of exploring northern France was forming as soon as we returned home. Among the priorities that shaped our month-long  2018 'English Channel Roundabout' were a visit to Vimy Ridge, the opportunity to cycle in Normandy, Brittany,  Jersey and the Isle of Wight, and a visit with a good friend in Eastbourne. 

We flew to Paris in late August, arranged with the very accommodating CDG Hilton to keep our bike boxes, and rented a van for the first few days to enable us to drive north- east to Arras to visit Vimy and then west to the border of Brittany. We were happy to leave the van behind once we reached Brittany and spend the remaining three weeks exploring the endlessly fascinating coasts along the English Channel by bike and ferry. In all, we cycled just under 1,000 km on this trip.

Setting off from Victoria, bikes neatly tucked in their boxes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We travelled clockwise, first to Vimy near Amiens, then out to the coast at Honfleur near Le Havre. From there we visited the beaches near Caen before heading west to the area around St. Malo. Our next stops were Jersey, the Isle of Wight and Portsmouth. Our travels took us east through Sussex to Eastbourne, then back to Newhaven to cross by ferry to Dieppe. The final leg took us from Dieppe to Paris along the Avenue Verte cycle route.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 3
Steve Miller/GrampiesHelp! I am getting ready to enjoy your blog, but since you have not filled out a profile, I have no context. You say you flew to Paris - but from where? There is a photo of setting off from "Victoria", but that could be British Columbia, England, or Australia. Skipping ahead, there are broad clues - going to Vimy, and Rod's great uncle. OK, it must be you are from BC! In fact, there is a chance you live in Mill Bay, and if so - hi neighbour!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Joy DavisTo Steve Miller/GrampiesI’ve updated my profile and am impressed by your detective work. Thanks for you interest.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Steve Miller/GrampiesTo Joy DavisOh good, now I can happily read the rest of the blog, which cover both areas we have been and some we want to go to!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago