Isle of Wight - English Channel Roundabout - CycleBlaze

September 14, 2018 to October 15, 2018

Isle of Wight

Our overnight ferry from Jersey docked around 7:30 am and we headed off through historic Portsmouth to catch the fast ferry to the Isle of Wight. 

Heart 0 Comment 0

Once in Ryde, we thought we'd drop our bags in Cowes before continuing on to explore Wight by bicycle. The island bills itself as a cycling Mecca, and while there are, no doubt, some good routes, we decided the trip to Cowes more than enough for the day. We were on the round-the-island cycle route that took us from Ryde to Newport, but found it very hilly. This wouldn't normally be an issue, but there are few shoulders, lots of blind corners, and fast-moving traffic. Unlike French drivers, the Brits aren't that inclined to give you a lot of room, which can be unnerving. We looked, instead, for off-road cycle routes and found ourselves on bridle paths through farmers' field. Perhaps we need a better map? Lots of gravel, mud and stinging nettles. But very beautiful!

Heart 1 Comment 0

We did eventually get on the Red Squirrel cycle path and made our way into the lovely town of Cowes, a centre of yachting history. The Royal London Yacht Club made us very welcome and we spent an enjoyable afternoon exploring the town which was getting ready for a number of simultaneous regattas on the Solent. 

View of the Solent from our room at the Yacht Club
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
We were walking along the main street, and there was Dave Cook. So neat to see a familiar face so far from home.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Dick, this one's for you!
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Royal Yacht Squadron takes itself very seriously
Heart 0 Comment 0
We dropped in for a visit to Queen Victoria's modest summer cottage
Heart 1 Comment 0

Late in the afternoon of our second day, after a visit to Osborne House and a lovely cycle along yet another hilly route, we took the ferry from Fishourne back to Portsmouth and settled in for two nights. 

Today's ride: 65 km (40 miles)
Total: 455 km (283 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 5
Comment on this entry Comment 0