Ulm To Donauworth: Woohoo....bring out the sunglasses!! - Danube 2013 - CycleBlaze

June 4, 2013

Ulm To Donauworth: Woohoo....bring out the sunglasses!!

Today we set a record of being on the road before 8:30, and we also cycled the longest distance in one day, so far. We had a bit of a rough start trying to get out of Ulm, with the cycle path closures, due to more flooding. A bus driver first indicated that we would have to take our 80 pound bikes down a very steep and long stairway...not happening. We cycled through the city and eventually got back on a bike path. We had a great day cycling in the sun, though some of the most beautiful villages that we have seen, so far. One in particular was Dillingen, where we stopped for coffee and a pretzel right out of the oven. We cycled right through a fruit and vegetable market that was going on just up the street. Today we tried to avoid the Danube as much as possible, so we were mainly on cycle paths along the highway, as well as some cool paths through the forest, and vegetable farms. We also saw quite a few fields of deep red poppies, which were spectacular. There is a lot of garlic grown in this area, so that was our scent of the day, as well as some more pig farms. Tonight we are staying in The Gasthof Zur Grenz, and I would have to say it is one the most eclectic places we have stayed! The dinner here was fantastic, as has most of the dinners on out trip. We were finally able to give our bikes a bath here, so they are ready to face a new day tomorrow. We are very impressed with our Surly bikes. They just roll along so easy, even with all our gear and the added two pounds or so of mud. Well, it's 8:34,so lights out, and looking forward to a great day of cycling tomorrow.

Today's ride: 79 km (49 miles)
Total: 313 km (194 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0