Tulln To Vienna: More flood destruction - Danube 2013 - CycleBlaze

June 14, 2013

Tulln To Vienna: More flood destruction

Sunny and warm to hot today. We are loving this great weather. We left Tulln this morning, after we checked out the market and picked up some fruit. The cherries are wonderful right now. We had a nice tail wind when we first started out, and it was easy to go 37-40 kilometres an hour....so much fun. Today we witnessed even worse flood damage than we have seen previously. Peoples yards were buried in sand and mud and they were taking piles of belongings out alongside the trail, to be picked up. The looks on their faces was heartbreaking. There was one area that a local man described as a war zone. No one was allowed down there, but he said cars and homes were completely under water and mud. We stopped for our morning coffee in Klosterneuburg, which has an impressive monastery. We were not sure if we were going to stop in Vienna, as we have spent time here a few years ago with our friends Mike & Sheila, or just bike right through. When we started into the city, we decided we had to stop and spend the afternoon and evening, which was a great decision. We did the Hop on Hop Off bus tours around the city and surrounding area, with a stop for a nice glass of wine in between. We walked around the centre a little longer, then had excellent Japanese food for dinner. We also sat in front of the Opera House and watched some of the life performance on a big screen. We remembered doing this with our friends.It was a wonderful warm evening, no sweaters needed. Biking in this city is so easy, as there are wonderful bike lanes and traffic lights and crossings just for bikes. Tomorrow morning we will cycle through some of the parks here, before we load up and head to Bratislava.

Departing Tullin past this beautiful fountain.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Tulln market.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Those radishes were the size of small apples!
Heart 0 Comment 0
School outing.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I love these poppy fields!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Yard of mud along the river.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There was trucks and equipment all along the trail today picking up peoples ruined belongings.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 49 km (30 miles)
Total: 1,235 km (767 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0