Narad to Komarno: Whine, whine and hopefully some wine. - Danube 2013 - CycleBlaze

June 17, 2013

Narad to Komarno: Whine, whine and hopefully some wine.

Today it was very hot before we even got started. The first part of our route was along the dyke, past pristine farms, on smooth, paved paths. We had thought we might cross the bridge after a few kilometres, into Gyor, on the Hungarian side. We decided to continue on in Sllovakia, and enjoy the peaceful ride, rather than get lost in the city. It was soooo hot! The Bikeline Guide Book, described the trail deteriorating, further up. It was 17 kilometres of loose gravel, and really hard to keep the bikes, and ourselves from falling, and it was HOT! A few times I had to stop for a rest, as I was feeling faint and getting cold sweats. Heat strike, just what I needed! After about 12 kilometres, we got off the gravel pit, and headed to the highway, which was not too bad, with a good, wide shoulder. We came to a little cafe along the road, and let me tell you, that beer and gyro, never tasted so good. It was getting HOTTER! I think this may have been the hottest I have ever felt, close to exploding. More whining! We finally found a very nice room in Komarno, which took sometime with the language issue. It was 34 degrees when we checked in. We both decided that we would rather cycle in the rain. We will have to suck it up though, as the forecast as we head into Budapest 34 degrees, as well. Today was so much harder than yesterday, even though we cycled 30 kilometres less. So there you have it, my day of whining. Now to find some good wine and food.

The nice cycle path in Slovakia, while it lasted.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This was a wonderful garden and hot house in someone's front yard. It makes a lot more sense than a lawn.
Heart 0 Comment 0
We leave our hotel in Naran. We enjoyed our stop here.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Once again, the wheels go round and round. Not really enjoying this surface.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Things we saw on our journey today on the Slovakian side of the Danube.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Water lilies just starting to bloom.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Not sure what this was.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sweet family.
Heart 0 Comment 0
You can see how high the water level was on these bushes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This was a very nice yard.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
This was in the middle of nowhere.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Moving memorial in a park across the street from us in Komarom.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our hotel tonight. Our room is the one up top with the large doors. Very nice.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
The finish of a hard day.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Local church we saw on our walk this evening.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Statue in front of the museum here in Komarom. Tonights walk involved ice cream!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 61 km (38 miles)
Total: 1,569 km (974 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0