Komarno, Slovakia to Esztergom, Hungary: A day of hell. Hellish highways and hellish heat. - Danube 2013 - CycleBlaze

June 18, 2013

Komarno, Slovakia to Esztergom, Hungary: A day of hell. Hellish highways and hellish heat.

As I write this at 8:30pm, we are still sweating like crazy. It got to 37 today with 100 percent humidity. I can relate to friends in eastern Canada and the USA, with their humid summers. We slept in this morning, thanks to the awesome air conditioned room. Enjoyed breakfast at this wonderful gem, Hotel Banderium. We left around 10:30, after my trusty bike mechanic husband, changed my rear tube. We noticed that it had a slow leak yesterday, and just pumped it up, but it was flat this morning. We crossed the bridge into the Hungary side of the city, and proceeded most of the day on the busy highway with many unloaded car carrier trucks. Every time one past, you just hoped their trailer got passed you, as well.The drivers in Hungary are not as courteous to bikes as the other countries. The last 10 kilometres into Esztergom, "the Rome of Hungary", was much more pleasant on designated bikes paths, and a fairly quiet road into the city. We both really suffered in the heat and humidity today. There were times when we had to stop just to squelch the dizzy spells. The best part were the cold sweats, that cooled you down....for a second, or two.Of course, we stopped for our prescribed beer, just before finding accommodation for the night. It is amazing how that revives us!! I am starting to think this trip is turning me into an alcoholic! Ron did another great job at finding us a nice room, but NO AC. We enjoyed yet another great dinner,so now to try and sleep in this heat.We will take a walk and explore the city in the morning, before heading to Szentendre, which is known for artists, and wonderful galleries.

Ron didn't seem in too much of a hurry to leave our hotel this morning. Not sure why?????
Heart 0 Comment 0
Fortunately, she couldn't get on my bike with her dress, so he took me!
Heart 0 Comment 0
Crossing into Hungary.
Heart 0 Comment 0
My new tattoo.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The race is on!
Heart 0 Comment 0
There were acres of sunflowers along the route today.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0
De-sand bagging
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our escort to our hotel. The young girl is the owner.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This was our restaurant for dinner.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 59 km (37 miles)
Total: 1,628 km (1,011 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0