More Lyon-2 days - Cycling Provence - CycleBlaze

May 21, 2017

More Lyon-2 days

First we went to the train station to get our tickets and sort out our travel plans from here and back again since Kelly and I will each be coming back alone. After that we went to the Centre of History, Resistance and Deportation. Interestingly this exhibit is now in the building that was Gestapo headquarters during WWII. It was the site of many tortures and executions by the Gestapo lead by the infamous Klaus Barbie. He was eventually brought to trial and sentenced to life imprisonment for his war time actions. His trial became the foundation for future trials on crimes against humanity. There were also exhibits about the French resistance and the deportation of the Jews. After this sobering visit we took public transit in the form of trams, metros and a funicular to the Bascilica on the hill of old town. After taking in the great view of the city with Mt Blanc in the distance we walked down to the old town for lunch. Lyon is famous for its "Traboules" which are narrow passageways between buildings. At one point there were over 400 but now only a few are open to the public. They were used to move between building during the silk trade era keeping the products from getting soiled. During the war they allowed members of the resistance to escape German pursuers. For our last day in Lyon we took the 2nd funicular to find the Gallo Roman theatre that is still used for open air prductions. After this we wandered the old town some more and then went in search of the Mur de Canut which is a very impressive fresco on the exterior of several buildings. We are off to Avignon tomorrow for one more day before the cycling begins.

A commerative plaque on the wall of the former Gestapo HQ now a museum to those who suffered, died or were deported.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Basilica Fourviere towering over Lyon.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Spectacular artwork inside the Basilica. This painting was created after surviving a cholera outbreak in the 1800s.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A panorama view of Lyon from behind the Basilica.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Another view. Look closely you can see Mt Blanc in the distance.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The stairs down from the Basilica.
Heart 0 Comment 0
One of te Traboules which are narrow passageways linking many buildings.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our lunch stop in the old city
Heart 0 Comment 0
A second Traboule.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kelly in the door of the funicular.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The Gallo Roman theatre
Heart 0 Comment 0
A 2nd photo of the theatre that is still in use today
Heart 0 Comment 0
We came across this shop of vintage bikes that can be rented. Most are e-bikes but not all.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A mural we spotted as we are wandering about.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Kelly trying to enter the door of the library that is painted on the mural.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A statue or Louis XIV in Place Bellecour.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I appear to be sitting on the stairs but it is really the stairs in the Mur de Canut.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The entire Mur de Canut.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0