Off Temuco: Let the cycling begin - Cycling Chile - CycleBlaze

January 5, 2018

Off Temuco: Let the cycling begin

We flew from Santiago to Temuco arriving at about 11:30AM. We were met by our guides at the airport from there we had a two hour drive up to a ski resort where we are spending 2 nights. It is located at the base of a ski hill on a volcano in the middle of a monkey puzzle tree forest (more about those tomorrow). Along the way we stopped for lunch where I tried a classic Chilean soup made with just about anything left in the fridge and poached egg. It may sound a little odd but it was very tasty. Once at the hotel we assembled our bikes and went for a short test ride. The serious riding begins tomorrow. By the time we were finished it was almost 8:30PM. We gathered for the requisite welcoming instructions plus a cocktail before dinner. The cocktail was a Pisco Sour a very traditional drink in Chile. As for the instructions as North Americans were advised to adjust our eating timings to the Chilean way of life which means everything is much later in the day. For example breakfast is not before 8AM, lunch not before 1PM and supper not before 8:30PM. It was the same in Spain and not my preference but I realize that I have to embrace the culture or don’t travel to these countries. Trying to change this is like trying to push a cooked noodle, you can’t so stop trying. By the time we were off to bed it was well after 11PM which is VERY late for me so hence forth my blogs may not be written until the morning.

The volcano ski hill from the resort patio.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A great place to assemble the bikes.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The outdoor pool at the resort.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hilary finally gets to see her Araucaria/Monkey Puzzle trees. Seeing these trees in their natural environment was her main motivation for coming on this trip. She grew up with these in the UK where of course they had been transplanted but travelling Brits probably the Royal Navy.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Hilary again under 2 gigantic trees that are extremely old since they grow very slowly.
Heart 0 Comment 0
An old church/shrine in a farmer’s field.
Heart 0 Comment 0
There are amazing fields of lupins everywhere.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Christopher under the indoor pool waterfall with the volcano in the background.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Some of the gang enjoying our toast (Salu) and the first taste of the Pisco Sour.
Heart 0 Comment 0
My Pisco Sour before consumption.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 15 km (9 miles)
Total: 15 km (9 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0