Christchurch & Akaroa: Playing tourist... - Chasing the Long White Cloud - CycleBlaze

Christchurch & Akaroa: Playing tourist...

Tuesday November 16, 2010

Unhappy with the security of the bicycle storage shed provided by my backpacker hostel, I spent the first morning disassembling and packing it back into its travel bag, so it could be locked up in the baggage storeroom.

Later I wandered into the city for lunch, and soon after was overcome by weariness. I spent a few hours sitting in cathedral square watching the world go by, and dozing in the warm sun.

Yesterday I took the shuttle bus to Akaroa, a tiny seaside town on the Banks Peninsula. This place has an interesting geology, and an equally interesting history. The Akaroa harbour is in the caldera of an ancient volcano.

Getting there involves crossing the rim of the volcano, with many steep and winding ascents and descents. It would be an interesting and scenic cycle, but I'm not sure the 180 kilometre return trip is one I'd want to tackle on a loaded tourer.

The original settlers were French - a ship left France carrying would-be colonists, but by the time they arrived the British had taken possession of New Zealand. The colonists stayed however, and the town retains some influences, with french street names and quaint cottages on the waterfront. Quite touristy, very twee, but undeniably pretty. A very pleasant way to spend a day.

This morning I took a gondola to the top of the volcanic rim overlooking Christchurch on one side, and Lyttleton, the port on the other.

Akaroa garden...

Akaroa waterfront - in the caldera...

It's french, they say...


Lyttleton Harbour - another volcanic caldera...

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0