Mar 26: Additional Bookings Made - Cuba off of the Map (Tours 10 & 11) - 2010 & 2011 🇨🇺 - CycleBlaze

March 26, 2011

Mar 26: Additional Bookings Made

IT JUST gets better.

I finally received confirmation after being told all week that the agent had done them. They're a bit pokey!

But, flights already arranged with Westjet. And now we have Jibacoa booked for the week following the cycling week. The transfer from Varadero airport to La Moka in Las Terrazas with our bikes is all set as is the La Moka booking.

Yesterday MA was in Timmins where she picked up a couple of bicycle boxes at Northern Sports and as per the HR person at Jibacoa, the hotel will gladly store them for us while we cycle!

I was able to collect some clarinet reeds to bring to a music professor; a friend is gathering some pens and items to donate to schools; some pharmacists are gathering some OTC meds to bring to hospitals, clinics and schools. We'll be heavy but will get lighter as we go and donate along the way!

All we need now is to pack up the bikes. Then drive to YYZ. Then fly to VAR.

EDIT NOTE: Not sure if it is appropriate or not, but after our experience with the travel agency we used, I felt I should let people know how things went.

For the second year in a row we contacted A. Nash Travel in Mississauga, ON, since they claim to be Cuba experts. Last year when we made the bookings a number of errors were made, which I can live with. But it took a number of calls for them to reimburse us for services not completed.

This year, I had to keep at the agent in order to get her to actually make contact with people in Cuba. When I asked for information, she quoted prices but had not actually checked availability. To their credit, we changed our plans to suit my wife's work schedule.

Now, it seems that everything is in order, but I have no wish to thank the agency. The agent was somewhat surly on the phone whenever I called. Let's just say that the next time we fly we will use the internet more, make contact with local guides who can book for us, and completely forgo A. Nash Travel. Thanks, but no thanks.

This is just my opinion. Nothing more and nothing less.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0