Apr 16 - Heading out of the Valle de Vinales: A very fast taxi from Vinales to Jibacoa - Cuba off of the Map (Tours 10 & 11) - 2010 & 2011 🇨🇺 - CycleBlaze

April 16, 2011

Apr 16 - Heading out of the Valle de Vinales: A very fast taxi from Vinales to Jibacoa

Hotel Breezes Jibacoa, CUC$184 (all-inclusive)

I WOKE up wondering about our taxi - would it even arrive?

Part of our breakfast was fresh local mango and I would have to say that it was the best I have ever had.

We paid Pito for our stay which included CUC$3 for the beer I thought was included... anything for a buck.

Still not certain a taxi would arrive, we rolled the bikes out front and waited. None o'clock. Nothing. Nine-fifteen - a motor. Only a tractor. A few minutes later and a full-sized van came around the corner and pulled up in front. I confirmed that it was our van then started pulling the bags off of the bikes. The van was big enough that the wheels could stay on the bikes, so within a few minutes we were loaded to go. In we went and away we drove, waving good-bye to Pito and his wife.

The van headed south out of town past Los Jazmines and toward Pinar city and the autopista. The road was very windy but interesting. Within the first few minutes we were out of the Vinales valley, and though still beautiful it was not as incredible as it had been.

The road was windy and rough enough that it was impossible to try to read a book until we were on the autopista. Once there our driver went even faster, I'm sure 120 km/h or even 140 km/h the whole way, slowing only for major bumps at bridges, police checkpoints or traffic lights/intersections. I read a lot of Smith as we raced toward La Habana and then Jibacoa.

The way into the hotel I had to direct the driver since he didn't really know the area. We decided to try Breezes Jibacoa since it is what we wanted anyway. After checking they found a room for us - in building 7, number 1148. We had asked for a pool view but the resort is packed full so they could not accommodate our wish. At least we could stay!

The room was not ready but they let us put our gear inside so we could go out. We headed to the pool bar where we chatted with Adrian, then headed for lunch in the buffet restaurant. Once again, the staff remembered us.

The rest of the day we chatted with Adrian, with a group of oil techs from Kitchener-Waterloo, and a group from Carbonear, Newfoundland. Supper was at the buffet, then the show was the couples night. We headed to the disco for a wee bit afterwards, but soon came to the room after a long day.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0