Bridge of size - Sir Richard Branson: a policy statement - CycleBlaze

February 18, 2008

Bridge of size

MATANZAS - The plan is to strike south across the island in two days to reach the Bay of Pigs. To do that we have to take a busy road out of this port town, once one from which the tourist literature steered foreigners away from visiting but now gaining in confidence, ride a long stretch of flatlands and finally cross part of what has been described as a smaller but less spoiled version of the Everglades in America.

Tomorrow will be a longer ride than usual, to get to the oddly-named Australia or its neighbouring town of Jagüey Grande, and so today has had to be shorter to get all the towns in the right order and at a sensible distance.

Farewell, oil refineries; welcome, views of a perfect sea
Heart 0 Comment 0

The countryside has been better than yesterday and, for all that cyclists might regret successive hills, at least they made the scenery more interesting. We had no industrial obstacles between us and the faultless sea. The petrol fumes and machinery have all gone, replaced by views of the lush flatland which I think will be tomorrow's ride.

The only thing to report is that we rode over Cuba's longest bridge. Not that much to shout about, I know, but we must all take our pleasures where we can. It's 313 metres long and 100 metres high above the Bacunayagua river.

Cuba's longest bridge. Never say I didn't give you a chance to marvel at it.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Rate this entry's writing Heart 0
Comment on this entry Comment 0