Westcliffe-Walsenburg, CO: One of the best cycling days ever. - Climbing and Cruising in Central Colorado - CycleBlaze

June 24, 2014

Westcliffe-Walsenburg, CO: One of the best cycling days ever.

Cathy's photo of our shadows taken as we were leaving the motel this morning.
Heart 0 Comment 0

From the route profile we knew there was a very gradual uphill to ~mile fifteen. Then a very gradual downhill all the way to town. Doesn't that sound like a perfect cycling day? The only thing we had to keep us on edge is the wind. Cathy and I decided to get going early, just in case the wind picked up. The guys were waiting for the motel's continental breakfast to open just as we were departing. We had a slight headwind as we started. We congratulated ourselves for getting out before the headwind got too bad. We chatted as we rode. Between the chatting and the slight grade I was panting slightly and pedaling only 8 mph.

Cathy and I were happy to be riding together as we had the same bush requirements. I know you guys laugh, but a woman's life on the road is a bit more difficult that yours! Especially in this country, there wasn't many adequate bushes. We finally found one and pointed out to each other the HUGE prairie dog holes, not to step in them while making our stop. We got even more pit stop efficient, one of us going upwind, the other downwind, instead of taking turns.

The road was just the slightest of upgrades, but enough to pant. Finally I think Cathy was worried about getting to town if we kept talking - she took off, saying she'd see me at the top of the next hill-ette.

These thistles in bloom were the flower of the day today. We don't have them in our area.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Typical scenery from the beginning of the day. Soon enough the Sangre de Cristos were gone.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The town of Gardner was about halfway into the ride. It was an interesting mix of fallen down buildings and those interestingly restored. This trading post sign says Est. 1868.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We weren't too far before Jeff caught us. We had plenty of snacks, but I was wanting ice. They had liquid ice only. Darn. Even though the temps were cool, we were riding with leggings and vests - I still like a cold drink.

This was the first day we were out in front of the men. Which meant they soon caught up with us. There's nothing like putting a couple of rabbits out front for the guys to chase. Spoon, Oren, and CR powered right up. All were happy. Spoon slowed down to chat. I asked him if this wasn't about the best cycling day ever. Except for the day coming off of Lizard Head Pass into Dolores last year. He disagreed with me, exclaiming loudly that TODAY was the best cycling day of his life. Wow. That made me feel good. I asked why today was better than the Dolores day. Spoon didn't answer beyond throwing over his shoulder, "I have to go and catch CR." Zip. Off he went. It was quite a sight to see Spoon on his high racer recumbent riding behind tall CR on his diamond frame bike. I need a photo of them together. If I see them again. The only way to see the guys is to get out in front of them early in the day.

Jacinto took this photo at a farm house. There was a number of VW's in the yard. Ginny had to stop and chat. The man is in his 70's and restores old VW's and sells them as a hobby. Talking to him made the whole trip worth it for her.
Heart 0 Comment 0

I was really enjoying the scenery today. The fields were all lush and green from the spring rain. The Sangre de Cristos were on our right. The Wet Mountains on our left. We were riding in the Wet Mountain Valley. Luckily for us, today wasn't a wet day.

Overall we have had excellent roads this trip. Today started out with an extra wide road. We knew from Norma that the roads were extra wide for the Amish to safely drive their buggys to town. That lasted several miles. Then we still had smooth pavement with no shoulder. It didn't really matter there wasn't a shoulder as there was very little traffic. No semis at all and a vehicle every 4-5 minutes. Downhill on our own private bike path. Isn't life grand?

Eventually we got to some old road surface that had frost heave cracks. That was slightly annoying for me, much more so for the upright riders. At dinner one night we were discussing Rocky Mountain Oysters (fried bull testicles). Cal mentioned that he had a tenderized pair of his own . . . . we all got a kick out of that.

Life was good. The climb was very gradual - just slowing us enough to enjoy the beauty of the area. Finally we hit the downhill. It's very important for cyclists to remember to smile with their teeth and lips shut. But I forgot a few times today. It was a special day to remember.

Cathy and I had started early because we didn't trust the wind. There was a slight headwind to start. Then it died down and didn't really come back at all. Cool temps, no wind, blue sky, downhill. I'm not making you jealous, am I? I'm not making it up either. Just ask the other happy riders!

Down, down, down we went. Ginny and Jacinto caught up with us. I was extra happy to see her because she had ice. Jacinto's bum leg had forced him off the bike and onto the SAG. It has bothered him occasionally all winter - bad timing for it to act up again. We didn't stop long, but kept going. We saw the guys off and on, depending on who was stopping where and when.

The mile markers again counted themselves down to town. It was easy to know where we were. I had offered the option of taking the back way on Rd 590 to town if the traffic on Hwy 69 was too heavy. 69 loops around to Business 25 and 590 was more direct, but unknown. No one seemed too interested in the back route. Especially since we know knew Hwy 69 was such a dream to ride.

Finally the sustained downhill ended and we hit some rollers. The five of us were still pretty much together. I was working pretty hard to stay at the tail, but at least I was the tail and not completely gone. The rollers were fun - slingshot down and half way up the other side sort of hills. Spoon made good use of the downhills in this area.

Oh - I have to tell on CR. I came up on him bending over his bike. Did he need help? No - just cleaning his chain. Let me say, it was a bright blue day -no rain or moisture anywhere. No cow pies on the road he might have ridden through. Why in the world was he cleaning his chain? I do not know. But it did inspire me to clean mine when I got to town.

I had trouble stopping today for photos. The downhill was very fun. Here is Cathy in Gardner at the trading post stop.
Heart 0 Comment 0
This was at our last SAG stop before town. That is a mill tailings pile from a mining operation many years ago. There were many, many abandoned buildings today.
Heart 0 Comment 0

At our last SAG with Ginny, Cathy and I agreed to meet at one of the fast-food places at the end of Hwy 69 at the interstate. There was surprisingly little there. Cathy and I passed the last mile discussing how big was Walsenburg and what amenities were available. We just didn't know. I had read in the paper that Huerfano County was one of the poorest in the state - high poverty and welfare rates, high drug use, etc.

We stopped at KFC, the only choice. We were happy to see it. We hadn't even taken off our helmets before Ginny and Jacinto pulled up. The guys were long gone - they must have gone directly to town. Tom Newman was slightly behind. Ginny was going to wait for him to eat. After we finished eating I did not want to do the last climb into town. Darn. Why was there a climb now? Ah, well. It wasn't much of one.

Riding into town, there were many closed and poorly maintained buildings. Yes, it looked like a poor area. They do have a movie theatre, with digital, but open only on the weekends. Yay for them for making the expensive switch to digital.

We were at the Sands Motel. They didn't have room for everyone, they were full of nurses, so the rest of the riders had to stay at the Anchor. Both were older mom and pop type places.

Jacinto went for a walk to check out the town and get some exercise. Walking didn't bother his leg. I showered and took care of off the bike duties. He was soon back, reporting that there was a Subway, a Carl Jr's, and two Mexican restaurants, but one closes at 6 PM. That made it pretty easy to decide where to go for dinner.

I called around and everyone agreed to meet at six. As usual with a big group it took quite some time to get our food. That gave me a chance to offer tomorrow's riding options. Everyone had pretty much decided on the short day - 16 miles to LaVeta. The next option was passing through LaVeta to the town of Cucharas for lunch. That would take in the Devil's Step rock formation and general beauty of the area, but miss the big climb up Cucharas pass. Nope - not really anyone interested in bicycling there. Some interest in a van ride to Cucharas for lunch. There were four takers for the ride all the way to the top of the pass, with lunch on the way back down. My bicycle guide book says there is a stiff five mile climb after Cucharas to the top. Interesting that Hardscrabble was our lowest pass at 9,100 feet, but has been the most difficult so far. I don't know if we get a pass sign at the top of Cucharas, but I dearly hope so.

Cathy at I are starting off at our customary 7 AM. I think most of the guys are sleeping in with the short riding day.

Today's ride: 59 miles (95 km)
Total: 240 miles (386 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0