Thurmont, MD to Monkton, MD - Last Century Cross USA on a Tandem - CycleBlaze

July 31, 1996

Thurmont, MD to Monkton, MD

Staying with Kelly

It was pouring when I woke at 5:15 a.m. and continued doing so off and on, so we didn't leave until 10:30 during a lull. The report was for scattered thunderstorms and rain all morning, but we really lucked out and only had a few light spatterings. Stopped in Westminster (recognized it as the town where Kelly picked us up on a Cycle Across Maryland Tour) to have the derailleur cleaned up and worked on. This time, Kelly picked us up at the Northern Central RR path just north of her home in Towson. She had a dinner party including Dana and her mom and boyfriend and Michelle. It was exciting to talk to friends who hung on our every word! Today a motorist pulled along beside us and asked when we would be taking a break. He was on his way to purchase a book to help him plan a cross- country cycling trip, so he decided to talk to the "experts". At the NCR train we spoke with a family with a new infant and gave them some advice about starting the baby cycling, and also to a man walking his dog, who offered us the use of his Ford Explorer to transport the bike. Traffic, traffic, Traffic!

Today's ride: 50 miles (80 km)
Total: 3,493 miles (5,621 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0