Olney, MT to Lake McDonald, Glacier Park, MT - Last Century Cross USA on a Tandem - CycleBlaze

June 27, 1996

Olney, MT to Lake McDonald, Glacier Park, MT

Sending gear home

Today is our daughter Kelly's birthday. We made great time to Whitefish, beautiful weather. We stopped at a bike shop and got advice on the logistics of sending home all the camping gear. The bike is just too heavy and wind resistant for us to make good time. It takes us till 9 p.m. to finish 90 miles and that's too long in the saddle. Also, Dave must use so much strength and effort to steer and control it. And camping requires so much longer to set up/break camp. It won't be too bad to ride long hours if we're pulling into a motel. More torrential rain---streets flooded; we took brief refuge under an awning of a little place on the highway but had to continue on eventually. I finally got some vegetables! Hot, steamed fresh veggies-heaven! While on the street packing our gear to send home, a retired school principal stopped and talked at length. He's interested in tandems and cycled across Africa last year. He had lots of advice for us. He told us not to worry about getting a motel room, they'll somehow find room for cyclists. "Ask a farmer if he has a place for you". He made it sound so effortless. He even gave us his card in case we needed help in Montana.

Entrance to West Glacier
Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

We stayed at the Lake McDonald Lodge in Glacier. 

 THE INTERIOR OF THE LODGE WAS SPECTACULAR. WE HAD A LOT OF COMPANY IN FRONT OF THE HUGE FIREPLACE.

Today's ride: 62 miles (100 km)
Total: 735 miles (1,183 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0