Odessa, DE to Ocean City, NJ - Last Century Cross USA on a Tandem - CycleBlaze

August 3, 1996

Odessa, DE to Ocean City, NJ

Sprinting to the finish!

A day of surprises; headwinds almost constantly; much longer mileage than expected, bicycle maps very difficult to follow because many roads in Delaware aren't identified or labeled. We had to ride on major highways with the ocean traffic. (Thank goodness it was overcast) We followed a scenic road to Bower's Beach right on the coast, had lunch and planned to take another scenic road down the coast. The waitress overheard our plans and hurried out to inform us that we couldn't get from Bowers Beach to South Bower's Beach for the road we wanted because there was no bridge across the river. There was only one way in and out of Bower's Beach, so we had to turn around and retrace our route.

STOPPED CAR BEACH TRAFFIC STRETCHED FOR MILES WAITING TO GET THROUGH BOTTLENECKS. WE COULDN'T HELP GRINNING AS WE CYCLED PAST ON THE SHOULDER.

We took the Cape May-Lewes ferry; it was a much longer passage than we had expected.

Heart 0 Comment 0
Heart 0 Comment 0

Talked to awaiting family by cell phone; we had told them to expect us around 4 p.m. and it was after 6 when we got off the ferry in Cape May, NJ, Mother Fritsch had a TV crew and a newsreporter waiting 36 miles north in Ocean City. I felt bad that the plans didn't work out. Dave and I sprinted the last 36 miles to Ocean City, my hamstrings protested!

WE SPRINTED THE 36 MILES WITHOUT STOPPING ONCE. THROUGHOUT THE TOUR I IMAGINED THAT AT THE FINISH I WOULD HAVE SOME TYPE OF PROFOUND AND INSPIRATIONAL THOUGHTS. HOWEVER, WITHIN A FEW MILES OF THE FINISH, RHONA SEEMED TO "BONK" FROM THE LACK OF FOOD AND EXHAUSTION AND STARTED TALKING "CRAZY". MY MENTAL STATUS MAY HAVE BEEN IFFY ALSO BECAUSE I DIDN'T STOP TO FIND OUT WHAT WAS WRONG, BUT I WAS WORRIED ABOUT HOW SHE WAS TALKING. ONE BLOCK FROM THE END, WHEN SHE SIGHTED OUR FAMILY WAITING SHE LET OUT A CELEBRATORY "WHOOP" WHICH SCARED THE DAYLIGHTS OUT OF ME. INSTEAD OF ANY PROFOUND THOUGHTS, I INSTEAD WAS CONCERNED ABOUT RHONA'S STATE OF MIND. AS SOON AS WE STOPPED, SHE BECAME THE NORMAL RHONA AGAIN.

Ocean City, NJ August 3, 1996, 8:30 p.m.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Celebratory kiss!
Heart 0 Comment 0

Our reception at the ocean boardwalk was better than I could have imagined; the entire family was there with cameras and video cameras and the reporter had returned.

Heart 0 Comment 0

We caused quite a commotion on the boardwalk entrance.

Daughter Kelly & Son Pete in the required picture with the tandem in the Atlantic Ocean.
Heart 0 Comment 0
The entire Fritsch family celebrates with us.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The family serenaded us with "Daisy". Dave and I took the bike right into the surf and we got lots of pictures. What a day, what a tremendous trip! Best experience of my life, besides being married to Dave!

Today's ride: 122 miles (196 km)
Total: 3,711 miles (5,972 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0