Coshocton, OH to Moundsville, WV - Last Century Cross USA on a Tandem - CycleBlaze

July 26, 1996

Coshocton, OH to Moundsville, WV

Briefly back where it's

Feels like home!! (Or as Dave says, "We're not in Kansas anymore!"). We're in the foothills of the Appalachians; crawl up one hill, zoom down the other side, crawl up, zoom down . Morning was very challenging, but luckily not too hot. Afternoon was much nicer, along a pretty river valley.

Branches stranded on the wire indicate the flood waters were higher than the roadway.
Heart 0 Comment 0

We found that route by asking at an ice-cream stop. We've definitely become experts at getting advice from locals. A local cyclist, Doug, joined us just before we crossed the bridge into Moundsville, over the Ohio River. He offered us a place to stay tonight, we certainly could have used his offer last night.

Signs of home!
Heart 0 Comment 0

My Dad was waiting there in a parking lot for us, doing crazy jumping jacks to get our attention. He took us back to Peters Township to a meal full of fresh vegetables; I couldn't get enough! Sister Jeanine and niece Phoebe came too, so it was an evening of sharing our experiences. Mom is looking good after her surgery.

TIME WITH RHONA'S PARENTS IN SUBURB OF PITTSBURGH
Heart 0 Comment 0

IT WAS GREAT TO SPEND TIME WITH FAMILY IN PITTSBURGH. THE PLAN IS FOR RHONA'S DAD TO DRIVE US BACK TO THE EXACT SAME PARKING LOT THE NEXT DAY.

Today's ride: 97 miles (156 km)
Total: 3,205 miles (5,158 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0