Downhill gravel - Costa Rica Trails - CycleBlaze

October 28, 2022

Downhill gravel

Today was another interesting but hot ride.  After breakfast we drove about an hour to the top of a hill near some wind turbines before staring out. This area known as the wind valley, hence the turbines.  Once on the road we started mostly downhill on gravel roads of various qualities (grade 2-4).  I say mostly downhill because there were some tricky uphill bits on roads of suspect quality.  At about the 25km mark in the heat of the day we started back uphill on gravel that turned to pavement at about 32km.  Tim managed to ride to the lunch stop at 45km but I gave up at 36km because the heat and the effort was just too much.  I am not sorry about that because I feel better tonight than I have on previous nights.  Maybe I am hoping that I am starting to acclimatize.  Once at our cute hacienda resort we cleaned up,  had a dip in the hot thermal pools, drank a few beers and enjoyed some great wood fired pizza for supper.

The Ride with GPS route and profile. I stopped at 36km because the heat was getting to me. It was even hotter today when the real climbing started. Tim rode to the 45km mark which is where we stopped for lunch. Some of the keeners rode the extra 5 km to the hotel.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This is an Agouti related to the Guinea pig. There were at least a dozen running around this morning, one absconded with a piece of toast at breakfast.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A howler monkey this morning. We could hear them all night long.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Two more howler monkeys. Their howl is very loud and carries up to 3 km.
Heart 2 Comment 0
White tail deer
Heart 0 Comment 0
This miserable bull was not too happy with us riding by. Our van driver stopped so we could walk around the van to avoid the bull.
Heart 1 Comment 0
This fellow just happened to drive by on his way to deliver bake goods to local people. He stopped and sold us quite a few things all of he baked.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A view of more volcanoes
Heart 0 Comment 0
Our German friend riding down the steepest bit we rode today. It was very rocky and rutted so quite difficult.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Gail JohnsonLooks very challenging. Put this right up there with hiking. Ya, no thanks!
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Thermal hot springs where we are staying
Heart 2 Comment 0
There are several pools heated with thermal water including one with a slide.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our little cabin for tonight complete with drying laundry. No AC tonight.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A panorama of the property.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Sitting around the pool, having a beer after the ride.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Climbing today on the gravel road, still smiling.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Our guides at lunch today in a small café in a small village.
Heart 1 Comment 0
A fruit and water stop before crossing another small stream.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 36 km (22 miles)
Total: 178 km (111 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0