Kootenay Overview - Swan Song for the Jetta - CycleBlaze

August 2, 2018

Kootenay Overview

I’ve restructured the journal a bit, and we’ve made several changes to the original plan for ending our tour.  As a reminder, here is how the last ten days were described in the introductory post for the tour:

I described this as a pair of connected, self-sufficient (Jetta-less) loops beginning and ending in Nelson. Doesn’t really look very loopy though; looks more like a hair ball.
Heart 0 Comment 1
Ron SuchanekHahha a hair ball!!!!!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago

We’ve made several changes to the original plan, mostly due to input from our friends Ken and Mary that we connected with in Kamloops.  The main changes were to add an out and back overnight to Revelstoke, and to drop the three day loop from Nelson to Trail and back.  Instead of the Trail loop, we added days in Radium and Creston.  The new plan looks like this:

This is the contiguous part of this section. Not shown are several other day rides in the region.
Heart 0 Comment 0

The river structure in the upper Columbia and the Kootenay is fascinating, to me at least.  The Columbia begins in spring-fed Columbia Lake, just north of Canal Flats.  From there it flows in a long fishhook arc northward to Mica Creek and then south again.  The Kootenay begins about two thousand feet higher up, in the mountains of Kootenay National Park.  From there it drops down to Canal Flats, where it passes just two kilometers from Columbia Lake, nearly connecting to the infant Columbia River.  From there it flows south, crossing the border into Montana and Idaho before flowing north again, finally joining the Columbia at Castlegar.

The upper Columbia and Kootenay. With just a two kilometer portage, you could take a nice little 700 mile canoe trip down the Columbia and back up the Kootenay to Canal Flats.
Heart 0 Comment 0

So, the burning etymological question of the day: what is the source of a river.  Why is Columbia Lake regarded as the source, rather than the Kootenay which extends another fifty miles higher into the mountains?  And for that matter, why isn’t the Vermillion River the source?  Shouldn’t we either rename the Kootenay the south fork of the Columbia, or rename the Columbia to the Kootenay or the Vermillion?

And while we’re at it, does anyone know the background on the naming of the aquamarine Vermillion River?  I didn’t see anything vermillionish around it when we were there.

Rate this entry's writing Heart 3
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Emily SharpThanks for the good write-ups and ideas for touring in the area. I have visiting the Burgess Shale in Kootenay National Park high on my geological life list... so it's good to have some ideas for touring when I mark that one off my list :-)
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekGreat photos and.video! I like the shoulders, rumble strips and relatively light traffic
Reply to this comment
5 years ago