Birch Bay - Swan Song for the Jetta - CycleBlaze

July 8, 2018

Birch Bay

Just a brief narrative today.  Between sleeping in a bit after last night’s late evening birthday celebration that kept us up past 11, a two hour drive to Bellingham where we’re stopping over tonight on our way to Canada, a bike ride, and yet another celebration meal tonight, there was no time to write up the day.  So, I’m getting around to it this morning before another full day - a four hour drive to Kamloops, another bike ride, and a planned visit with Ken and Judy, a Kamloops bike touring couple that reached out to us a few days ago when they learned we’d be in their neighborhood.

So, not much time; and so not many words.

About the ride: a great 45 mile loop to Birch Bay from our also great downtown motel, The Heliotrope.  It featured impressive views of Mount Baker for much of the way, and a lovely stretch on private roads owned by BP that they allow access to by walkers and bikers.  It’s what we’d like to see Weyerhauser do with their little road down by Willow Grove.

We stopped briefly for a modest picnic lunch (bread, peanut butter and an apple from last night’s motel) by the shore at Birch Bay, getting excited about the amount of snow we’re seeing on the mountains north of Vancouver.  The ride back goes fast, as we benefit from the wind webiked into all the way out.  We got back just in time to shower and dash off to an Italian restaurant on the waterfront for a celebration.

Approaching the coast, biking on a quiet road along the edge of the Lummi River.
Heart 2 Comment 0
We spent much of the day riding in view of Mount Baker.
Heart 4 Comment 0
The Lummi river is even smaller than it looks here -this is one of its wider spots.
Heart 3 Comment 0
On BP private land, enjoying several miles of roads barricaded from motor vehicles.
Heart 3 Comment 1
Jacquie GaudetI've ridden some of these with an annual ride organized by a Vancouver bike shop. I had no idea why they were bike-only, but enjoyed them very much.
Jacquie
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 2 Comment 2
Anne MathersLooks a little Sicilian if you remove the mountain from this shot.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Anne MathersIt does, doesn’t it? It hadn’t occurred to me at the time though. It’s so open and unmanicured.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
On Birch Bay. At the left end of the small peninsula out there across the water is Point Roberts. It’s distinguished by being a tiny separate piece of US territory (it’s part of Washington State). You reach it by sea, air, or by crossing the Canadian border.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Picnic on the bay
Heart 3 Comment 0
Is there a mycologist in the house?
Heart 3 Comment 6
Bill ShaneyfeltWell, I'm no mycologist, but with considerable google image searching and a bit more searching, I might have found it.... Possibly lipstick cladonia lichen.

https://gohiking.ca/plants/mushrooms/lichens/lipstick-cladonia-lichen/

----->Bill
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Bill ShaneyfeltThat’s brilliant, Bill. Looks right on all counts - range, habitat, presentation. I didn’t really expect anyone to identify this.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Bill ShaneyfeltTo Scott AndersonI really did not expect to find it either! I was just going to comment on the colorful lichens... Sometimes things somehow work out.

----->Bill
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekI'm impressed that you and Rachael find so many great places to ride in the PNW. Did you know about the BP road ahead of time? Love riding without traffic!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Scott AndersonTo Ron SuchanekThat was a lucky find. I browsed the net for ideas for a day ride from Bellingham, and this popped up. It’s a regular ride one of the local cycling clubs takes. It didn’t really describe the route though, so I was really surprised by the BP section (on Cherry Point).
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Ron SuchanekAlso happy anniversary! Our 10th was July 11
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
This huge and beautiful kite flew above the bay, tethered to a log on the beach. It’s tails streamed straight out in the stiff breeze, to about three times the length of what’s shown here.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Heart 1 Comment 0
The view from Vista Way, in Ferndale
Heart 3 Comment 0
Bellingham Victorian
Heart 2 Comment 0

So who are we celebrating tonight?  Us!  It’s our 30th anniversary today!  What an incredible adventure it’s been.  Over a fine meal outdoors by the marina under an umbrella (beet salad, salmon and duck, which I neglected to take a photo of), we reminisced a bit about where we were thirty years ago today - backpacking in the Mount Jefferson Wilderness with our son Shawn, eating leftover pizza from Gepetto’s in Salem where we had a post-wedding lunch with the Farrier’s, the couple who stood up for us at the ceremony.

We both feel so lucky for each other and for all we’ve experienced together over the last three decades.  Here’s to the next 30!

Here’s to us!
Heart 7 Comment 2
Ron SuchanekThat's great!
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Scott AndersonWe think so too. I can’t believe my luck, finding someone to put up with me for so long.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Heart 0 Comment 0

Today's ride: 45 miles (72 km)
Total: 82 miles (132 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 6
Comment on this entry Comment 2
Gregory GarceauHappy Anniversary! A couple days late, but no less sincere.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago
Scott AndersonThanks, Greg! It feels like quite a milestone for us, in a big year.
Reply to this comment
5 years ago