May 16th - Taiwan Lockdown - CycleBlaze

May 16, 2023

May 16th

out with Ralph

 Last night Ralph and I talked about a ride today while having a couple of beers in town. We know it'll soon be too hot. I told him about the canal cycle path that Debbie and I found on Sunday and he's interested in seeing it himself. He emails this morning and we agree to meet in a Family Mart near me at about 9:30. To me, that's coffee time. 

Having a coffee while waiting for Ralph in Family Mart
Heart 1 Comment 0
Here he comes, just before 9:30
Heart 0 Comment 0
Arty snap in Family Mart
Heart 2 Comment 0

 Ralph looks at Google Maps on his phone as we drink our coffees and figures out where to go, so we set off and work our way south along a road that's fairly busy with commuters and whoever. I'm not sure where we are.

 I do when we get to Route 66 and make a left and follow the canal. We're pedal away from traffic. This is further along from where Debbie and I cycled, but after a while we reach the small bridge where we found it on Sunday.

 It's tranquil with only one or two other riders out today. We pass a solar park built over a pond and keep going, back under the 66 and eventually reach Highway 3. This is where Debbie and I made a left, but Ralph takes another look at Google Maps and opts to go straight, but eventually end up where I was the other day on the main road that leads to Longtan. There are two Louisa Coffee shops there and we like the idea of having another cup and a bite to eat. 

We follow back lanes and a canal
Heart 0 Comment 0
Solar farm over a pond
Heart 1 Comment 0
We trace the canal Debbie and I cycled beside on Sunday
Heart 0 Comment 0
Sat below Highway 3 where Debbie and I turned - Ralph and I ride in a similar direction
Heart 2 Comment 0
Mud-brick wall
Heart 0 Comment 0
Following the canal
Heart 0 Comment 0

 Provincial route 3 is four-lane-wide artery but has a decent shoulder for us to keep to. There's a fair among of traffic and it becomes a case of just getting it over with and it takes us roughly 15 minutes or more of pedalling until we reach a junction on the edge of Longtan. We then veer around the edge and get to Louisa and rest our bikes near the plate window and order a couple of bagels and iced drinks. We need to chill. The temp' is inching towards 30°C.

 There are a couple of options to get home, but we opt for the most direct one on a route we both know like the backs of our hands. It heads to Route 66, past where we joined the canal, and Ralph then peels off, while I ride slightly south. It'll be just 20-odd minutes of cycling for us both to get home.

On the edge of Longtan
Heart 0 Comment 0
Where else but Louisa Coffee in Longtan
Heart 0 Comment 0
Today's hat
Heart 1 Comment 0

Today's ride: 25 km (16 miles)
Total: 3,021 km (1,876 miles)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 2
Comment on this entry Comment 0