Day 2: Creswell to Springfield - Willamette Valley Covered Bridges 2022 - CycleBlaze

June 21, 2022

Day 2: Creswell to Springfield

I had a big breakfast at the Comfort Inn. Got on the road at 9:10 and pedaled west, the wrong direction, 3/4 mile to Creswell Bakery to get pastries for lunch. Then I pedaled east, backtracking 3 miles before turning northeast on back roads to Dexter Lake. The route meanders through the hills but the climbing is minimal.

Enterprise road east of Creswell.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Enterprise road connects to OR 58. I pedaled east on busy OR 58 for about 5 miles to the Rattlesnake road turnoff. Traffic is heavy, mostly trucks, but it has a wide paved shoulder.

Rattlesnake road is a scenic and somewhat low traffic road, but it has a 400 foot hill climb with 7% grade. Then a similarly long descent to Parvin Covered Bridge.

Rattlesnake Road to Parvin Bridge.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Parvin Covered Bridge is in a very remote setting. No highways or villages nearby.

Parvin Covered Bridge, built in 1921.
Heart 3 Comment 0

Parvin Covered bridge has a relatively big 20 ton (18,000 kg) weight limit. Bridges with a heavy weight limit have an extra layer of boards running the length of the roadway. Sometimes just in the tire tracks.

Inside Parvin Covered Bridge.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Parvin Covered Bridge crosses Lost Creek.
Heart 1 Comment 0

I expected to follow Lost Creek downstream to Dexter reservoir. It was kind of a shock to climb 100+ feet at 8% grade while going down to the lake.

The terrain really is flat on OR 58, staying close to the shore of Dexter reservoir.

OR 58 and Dexter reservoir.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Distant view of Lookout Point Dam and Lowell Covered Bridge.
Heart 2 Comment 0

At the east end of Dexter reservoir I took a long stop at Lowell Covered Bridge to enjoy the sights and eat a ham and cheese pretzel. It's basically a roadside rest area for OR 58. A large lakeside picnic area is adjacent to the old bridge.

South side of Lowell Covered Bridge. Built in 1945 over the Middle Fork Willamette river. The reservoir filled in 1955.
Heart 1 Comment 0

Lowell Covered Bridge has louvered windows, but only on one side.

The north side of Lowell Covered Bridge has a picnic area and pedestrian walkway.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Unfortunately, the fancy pedestrian walkway leads to a closed roll gate. I could see several lighted interpretive signs inside the bridge, but couldn't read them. I suppose they had trouble with homeless people sleeping on the bridge. Too bad they can't open the gate during the day.

North side of Lowell Covered Bridge. Roll gate is closed.
Heart 0 Comment 0
Looking through the gate at lighted interpretive signs in the bridge.
Heart 1 Comment 0

North of Dexter reservoir I climbed a small but steep hill to the town of Lowell. It's sleepy and remote. Not a boom town. I stopped at the downtown park to look at the mini covered bridge.

Cannon Street mini-bridge over a ditch in a city park in Lowell. "Built in 1988 by community spirit".
Heart 3 Comment 1
Genny FoxWhile in Lowell, we somehow missed this bridge but did see an even smaller one over the sidewalk.
Reply to this comment
1 year ago
Exceptionally nice Grange Hall in Lowell.
Heart 1 Comment 0

I pedaled north of Lowell on Jasper-Lowell road. A steep climb to a hilltop that separates the Middle Fork Willamette river from Fall Creek. Then a descent to Fall Creek.

Roadside poetry at the summit that separates the Middle Fork Willamette and Fall Creek.
Heart 1 Comment 0

At the bottom of the descent I stopped at Unity Covered Bridge which crosses Fall Creek. I like the giant window on one side. Better than no windows.

Unity Covered Bridge, built in 1936.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Unity Covered Bridge has a big window on one side.
Heart 2 Comment 1
Charmaine RuppoltThat's unusual - for the bridge to just have one big long window along one side of the covered bridge!
Reply to this comment
5 months ago

It's difficult to see the side of most covered bridges because there is usually a dense line of trees along the bank of the stream.

Unity Covered Bridge and Fall Creek.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Fall Creek from Unity Covered Bridge.
Heart 1 Comment 0

When leaving Unity Covered Bridge I noticed a former grocery market nearby. This was never a town. I guess it was a country store.

Former store near Unity Covered Bridge. I never saw stuff like this in Utah.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Pengra Covered Bridge is today's last bridge stop. It has an unusually open view of Fall Creek below.

Pengra Covered Bridge, built in 1938.
Heart 1 Comment 0

I very much prefer the covered bridges that have windows.

Pengra Covered bridge has a window on part of one side.
Heart 1 Comment 0
Pengra Covered Bridge has a rare curved approach ramp.
Heart 2 Comment 0
Fall Creek from Pengra Covered Bridge.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Shortly after Pengra Covered Bridge my low traffic road connects to Pengra road and the traffic increased significantly. Traffic increased even more in Jasper when I joined OR 222. I'm pedaling into the Eugene-Springfield metro area that has a population of 375,000.

Hills Creek flowing into the Middle Fork Willamette river in Jasper. Site of a gristmill.
Heart 1 Comment 0

On the southwest edge of Springfield I escaped the traffic by turning onto the Middle Fork Willamette trail. It goes along the river for about 5 miles, but has few open views of the river. I took the Dorris Ranch split of the trail, hoping to see more of the river. The trail stays close to the river but trees always obstruct the view. The trail is several miles longer than staying on roads but it's a pleasant escape from traffic. I'm not in a hurry.

Middle Fork Willamette trail on the south side of Springfield.
Heart 1 Comment 0

The trail ends about a mile south of downtown Springfield. I stopped a couple times in downtown Springfield to look around. Main Street is slowly reviving. It's not as dead as it used to be.

Downtown Springfield is slowly reviving.
Heart 2 Comment 0

I stopped to admire the famous mural that depicts The Simpsons animated television show which is set in an imaginary town of Springfield. Springfield, Oregon claims to be the home of The Simpsons even though it doesn't have a nuclear power plant.

Famous Simpsons mural in Springfield.
Heart 1 Comment 0

I pedaled through the Washburn Historic District. Springfield has a reputation as a struggling working-class town but that neighborhood is very nice.

First Methodist Church in the Washburn historic district in Springfield.
Heart 1 Comment 0

I pedaled 3 miles north and east from downtown to Village Inn, arriving at 4:15 PM. It's in a zone of suburban traffic hell adjacent to the OR 126 expressway. The motel appears to be mostly vacant. My room was nice.

For dinner I had an appointment to join a meeting of the Covered Bridge Bicycle Touring Society. 6 mature touring cyclists attempting to pedal to all the covered bridges in the Willamette Valley. The other cyclists are from the Napa Valley of California, pedaling a one way variant of my route from the Portland Amtrak station to the Eugene Amtrak station. They started 8 days earlier than me. It was just dumb luck that our paths crossed one night. They have a CycleBlaze tour journal called An Impressively Meandering Route.

Covered Bridge Bicycle Touring Society. Wayne, Cheryl, Genny, Jim, Rich, and Amber. They claim to be from Napa but didn't drink wine. ;-)
Heart 5 Comment 0

Today was sunnier and warmer than yesterday. High of 79F (26C) with the usual northwest wind. Very pleasant.

It was a good day overall. 4 covered bridges plus a mini bridge. More quiet roads than busy roads.

Distance: 44.1 mi. (70.6 km)
Average Speed: 9.7 mph (15.5 km/h)
Ascent/Descent: +1449/-1441 ft. (+442/-439 m)

Today's ride: 44 miles (71 km)
Total: 82 miles (132 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 4
Comment on this entry Comment 0