Northern Terminus to Fly (Creekview Farm Retreat B&B: - Couple on Coupled Co-motion Tandem Tour Trace - CycleBlaze

October 26, 2014

Northern Terminus to Fly (Creekview Farm Retreat B&B:

Averaged one stop per mile for first six miles to tweak the bike.

Thanks to Gayle & Claire we got a great start at the northern terminus.

Family friends Gayle and Claire drove us to the cloverleaf start to the Trace Parkway. We didn't really find a good place to park our vehicle if we had wanted to and couldn't even find an interesting place for a trip start picture.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Fortunately we didn't plan to eat at the Loveless Cafe before our start. The line was out the door and across the parking lot.

As we circled up the on ramp to the Parkway, in addition to the excitement we felt at the start of the tour I was pleased how easy the bike felt going up the slight hill with the full load. Gayle and Claire waited to take our picture as we crossed the overpass. Unfortunately, because of shadows and the conflicting effort to include the entire overpass with the tiny riders it is difficult to see that the structure, and others along the Parkway is more scenic than a traditional highway overpass.
Heart 0 Comment 0

Once on the Trace we had immediate problems with the bike ranging from loose seat bolts (loud squeaks) to poor shifting with both derailleurs. I suspect the problem is related to the cable routing which may be snagging under the kickstand plate. Of course this is one bolt I do not have the tool to fit. As we continued I got a little better at learning to finesse the shifts but I'll have to work on it tonight.

The view from the double arch bridge. As nice as the view was from the top, we really didn't see the beauty drivers below see.
Heart 0 Comment 0

I'm writing this entry the day after the actual day because we didn't have cell coverage or WiFi last night. Tonight's WiFi is not much better and it takes forever using the cellphone, so I'm giving up and will do it another time. This hunt and pecking on a small cellphone screen is for the birds (I guess a chicken is a bird).

Edit after the trip:

Sunday traffic was pretty heavy because of the fall foliage but was pretty considerate. We were also pleased to see many cyclists, but none of them appeared to be touring cyclists.

After leaving the Parkway we headed down a long hill and turned onto Creekview Road and had a pleasant two mile ride up a pretty valley. We turned up the long farm driveway to our first B&B (booked by Randy Fought)at Creekview Farm Retreat B&B and hosted by Misty Montgomery. As we headed up the driveway we could see an older farm house where there seemed to be a lot of activity. Misty was waiting for us in the driveway and explained we weren't staying in the old house, we were staying in the very modern B&B home up another driveway. We had this beautiful house to ourselves and learned the home had been built to be a B&B by Misty's Grandmother-in-law several years previously. Unfortunately, she died in a car accident and the women in her extended family all decided to keep the B&B operating as she had intended. This picture doesn't really do the it justice, but it was the best we could do, we were tired. Misty showed us through the home and made sure we were aware there was a supply of Schwan frozen dinners for us since she knew cyclists weren't in a position to cycle to a restaurant or store (we were really out in the country here) to pick up dinner. Later as we at dinner on the expansive screened in porch, I was grateful that she saved us from a dinner of peanut butter on bagels.
Heart 0 Comment 0
I didn't take enough pictures of the interior of this home. Even I could tell a lot of effort had gone into designing and decorating the home. Misty related that when her Grandmother-in-law had been working and her children were younger she always had plans for building the B&B on her refrigerator. She kept adding to and modifying the plans but the kids never dreamed she would ever actually build it. Well, when retirement came she dug into her project and built the home and then operated the B&B for several years. When we complimented Misty for her considerate touches and arrangements which are so important to cyclists she said she was just continuing the tradition of the Grandmother-in-law.
Heart 0 Comment 0
A full farm breakfast was promised and that's exactly what we had the next morning. Misty reluctantly agreed to a picture with Rhona, I think women want time to prepare their hair before any public pictures are taken.
Heart 0 Comment 0

I asked Misty if she talked often to Randy Fought and she said almost daily when she had guests booked through his service which were about 80% of her bookings. She said he was the best thing that had ever happened to the Trace. He had called the previous evening to make sure we arrived safely.

Today's ride: 30 miles (48 km)
Total: 30 miles (48 km)

Rate this entry's writing Heart 1
Comment on this entry Comment 0